Chapter IX

I returned to my house. My cluttered, dusty home. I ran into the door, afraid that someone was there, for I have not been there in weeks. In the barren appearance of my house, I sighed a sigh of relief. I changed my clothes, and crawled into my bed. I glanced at the clock. 6:30 am. 

***

I woke up on Sunday night. The air was still in my house; just the way it was when I got here. I got up and turned on the coffee pot. Laying next to it was a cigarette box. I shook one out and lit it up waiting for the coffee pot to hurry. The little rings of smoke kept my attention for the slightest minute, before I could start making sense of the last two weeks. 

Darion somehow made me pass out. Maybe Ace was carrying it on his paw when he slashed my arm? No, I would've noticed it. Or would I? It had to be at the Temple. Now that I think about it, the wine did taste a little off. So that when I got home the air hit me after the shower, a full hour for the medicine to kick in, I passed out. Makes sense. But how did he know where I lived in order to find me and kidnap me? Perhaps it had to do with the girls, wanting to join the coven. I would guess as much. After I woke up, I was in California. I had to be unconsious for three days. But the better question is, how did Ace find me? Did he follow me? No. He was angry at me for killing his sister. Did someone else tell him? Is Ace working for Darion? A deafening beep interrupted my thoughts. 

I poured my coffee and put out my cigarette. I stood there for a second, sipping the hot brew. I sighed heavily and picked up the phone. I dialed Ace's number. Rriinnggg. Rriinnggg. I got his answering machine and hung up. I hate answering machines. Always have. Sitting down on the kitchen table, reality hit me. I hadn't paid bills in a few months and I just got a letter from the bank saying if I didn't pay the bills I would lose the house. I sat down, and did all the human things I needed to before I lost everything. 

After everything was paid and sent off, I moved to the couch and flicked on the tv. Nothing was on of course, so I jsut sat and listened to the static so I wouldn't feel so alone. I looked outside at the full moon. In the distance I heard a wolf howl. I smiled to myself.