CHAPTER THREE

Altruistic / altro'stik
showing a selfless concern for the well-being of others, without care for one's own interests; unselfish

——— Percy's PoV / 2nd November, 2023

"Percy, your grades are dropping drastically. Why is that?" I shrug my shoulders.

"I've been busy." He gives me an empathetic smile, like he understands, he doesn't but nice try.

"You're underaged, school should be your first priority... Is everything alright at home?" Mr. Brunner asked, I try to keep a straight face.

"Yes. Perfectly fine...I'll try harder from now on." I'll try harder, I'll do better, I'm sorry, blablabla. I'm so done with this shit, like honestly.

"You can talk to me, I will help you."

"I don't need help, but thank you. Imma study more and do my homework." I give him one of my best fake smiles, and he nods, convinced I believe. Or not.

"I need you to get better again, or you'll fail, and we can't let that happen." I nod, when is this over? I've heard this a thousand times. So what? I forget about some exams since I've had other things to worry about.

"Is it because of your dyslexia? Because I kno-" I shake my head, I just want to leave. I have to pick up Tyson for a playdate and make dinner and- yeah.

"Nooo! I've just forgotten to study. You know how it is." I give him an awkward smile, and he nods once again.

"Okay... You can leave then. Don't forget to study for Monday's math exam, alright?" Math exam? What? No, that wasn't there yesterday. Fuck.

"Already started!" I yelp as I close the door behind me. I'm going to fail, again. When am I supposed to learn for that? I'm so screwed.

"Hey Per-"

"There is a math exam?" he flinches at my voice and I immediately feel bad. I believe that my anger issues got better over the years, but sometimes when I'm mad I can't control my voice, which is scary.

"Yeah, I thought you knew, we talked about it last week. Don't you remember?" Grover says, sounding worried, I hate this.

"Noo! You're right, I just forgot for a second. Haha" Yeah no, I don't remember at all, maybe I was zoomed out, probably.

"Well okay. What did Mr. Brunner want from you?"

"The typical, you need to blablabla. Not that important." He smiles.

"If you say so. We are going to mine later, wanna join?" I want to, but I shake my head.

"I can't, next time, maybe." he nods slowly, like he has been expecting that response, and I hate myself for that.

"I'm sorry- it's just that I have to take Tyson on a playdate and make dinner, and I can't fail this exam or Gabe and Mr. Brunner will not let me hear the end of it." I try to reason and he shakes his head.

"I know that, dude. It's okay. But just take care, okay?" I nod as we walk to the door.

"Just tell them I'm on a date or something."