Ch. 11: Mechanic(al Engineer)

🎵"'Woh kaun hai,' mujhse puchche meri humsafar har baari. Tere naam se pukaar baithe ussey kayi baari"

('Who is she,' my life partner asks me every time. I've called her by your name many times)🎵

-          Filhaal2 Mohabbat | Jaani | B Praak

👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻👻

Alizey's P.O.V.

It was nearing 5 AM when Fawad returned and quietly slipped into bed. He didn't mention anything in the morning nor did I.

I didn't even know how to address it.

Who was I to tell him not to leave like that? How could I tell him to confide in me instead when he evidently didn't feel comfortable enough yet?

The month has nearly passed. He's left without a word and returned at dawn eight times within the last 21 days. The only way I know to go about it for now was to pretend it doesn't happen.

In the last several days, Fawad's paperwork to place an offer on the house has been processing. He's long received his father's money. The day it hit the bank, he treated me out to a nice meal, and no, Harris wasn't a kebab mein haddi (thirdwheeler) this time.

Fawad and I had grown more accustomed to our new routine. It was nice. He'll usually help clean up after we eat the dinner I normally prepare. During the weekends, he'll make breakfast for the both of us before he goes to work. We've also become more comfortable with each other. He's convinced me to tell him about one of my stories since I wouldn't let him read them, and I couldn't help but agree. We've found ourselves going for strolls in the neighborhood after dinner where he has a smoke and listens intently as I describe the novel to him. 'Noor never visited Rayya at her college?' 'Is Rihan the guy Noor bumped into in the beginning of the story?', 'Is Akram's sister going to make an appearance later on?' It always made me smile when he asked questions, showing that he was really paying attention. And it was also the little things, like going to dinner at Mamu and Mami's on the weekend or grocery shopping together.

Despite his random night disappearances, I was still finding myself falling for him more and more with each passing day. I remind myself how dangerous it is and how I need to stop, but my heart doesn't listen when his light brown eyes simply look into mine.

It was Sunday evening. After returning from buying take-out, I was stood in the balcony with my phone pressed to my ear.

"Ek baat kahoon, Zey?"
(Can I say something, Zey?)

"Kaho," I scratched Pebbles's jaw as he sat on the ledge in front of me.
(Say it)

"Amaira Api aur Jia Api itne din tumse raabte kiye beghair kaise hai? Phupa thode unke messages pad rahe honge. Kam se kam ek text toh bhej sakte the."
(How have Amaira Api and Jia Api not contacted you all these days. It's not like Phupa actually reads their messages. They could've at least sent a text)

My heart sank at his words. The same thing occurred to me when my several 'Hi's and calls went ignored these past few weeks, but I tried coming up with excuses and brushing the thoughts away. "Kya dono bhi mujhse naraaz hai?" I thought aloud with a whisper. "Jia Api toh hairaan thi ke maine Fawad ke baare mein kuch bhi nahin bataya tha."
(Are both of them upset at me? Jia Api was astounded that I hadn't told her about Fawad)

"Pata nahin. Lekin naraaz kyun honge? Phupa ki baat alag hai, Jia Api aur Amaira Api toh behenein hai tumhari. Ek dafa mujhse puchcha bhi nahin tumhare baare mein. Hadd hai, yaar."
(I don't know. But why would they be upset? Phupa is a different story, but Jia Api and Amaira Api are your sisters. They haven't even asked me once about you. This is limit, man)