Ch. 14: Words Can Kill

Fawad's P.O.V.

"Papa-" Alizey mustered the courage to pipe up, but he ignored her.

Her father kicked off his shoes and walked past her as though she were invisible. Alizey stood there for a moment, absorbing his behavior.

Alizey walked towards the kitchen, where her father had gone. She stood out of view, listening and contemplating whether to try and approach her father again.

"Did you meet with Alizey?" we heard Afreen Aunty ask.

"Tell her not to talk to me. I don't want to speak to such trash."

His hateful words summoned me to the bottom of the stairs, my blood starting to curdle.

"Beti hai aap ki, aisey mat kahein."
(She is your daughter, don't say that)

"Meri sirf do betiyaan hai."
(I only have two daughters)

"Aahista bolein. Woh sun legi-"
(Speak quietly. She might hear you-)

His voice grew louder, "Kyun? Kya usne hamari jazbaaton ke baare mein socha? Yeh sab karne se pehle ek baar hamare baare mein socha? Nahin na? Main kyun sochoon?"
(Why? Did she think about our feelings? Did she think about us even once before doing all of this? No, right? Then why should I think about her?)

"Aisi baat nahin hai-"
(It's not like that)

"Aisi hi baat hai. She has no concern for our feelings. She has no regard for us. She has no emotion. She's conceited."

My hands balled into fists, the glass of water enclosed in my right palm threatening to shatter. It was taking everything in me to restrain myself from confronting her father. He was still angry, which was understandable, but he was crossing the limits. However, I knew if I went over there, it would ruin the progress Alizey's been trying to make. But it was also hurting her.

"Ghalat-"
(Misunder-)

"Kitna samjhaya tha maine ussey, ke zindagi sawaar jayega Tahir se shaadi kar ke, samaaj mein hamara sarr kitna ooncha ho jaata kyunke hamari aulaad Siraj Bhai ke bahu hai, lekin nahin! Usne koi qadr nahin ki. Usse baat karna patharon se baat karne ki barabar hai. Sab baatein uske ek kaan mein ghuskar dusre kaan se nikal jaati hai. Kisi ko izzat nahin deti hai na hi koi jazbaat hai uski. Kyunke usse koi parwah nahin hai. Mere khayaal na karti, thik hai, par kam se kam tumhare baare mein soch sakti thi woh. Mujhse zyaada ussey tumse lagaav thi. Yeh peent peeche jaake aise khanjar dhop ke yeh sirf dhoka nahin diya, tumhari mamta ko tauheen ki hai."
(I explained it to her so many times that her life would become beautiful by marrying Tahir, our heads would become high in society because our child is Siraj Bhai's daughter-in-law, but no! She didn't give any value to it. Talking to her is the same as talking to a stone. Everything goes in one ear and out there. She doesn't give anyone respect nor does she have any feelings. Because she doesn't care. She doesn't have any concern for me, fine, but she could've at least thought about you. She had more of an attachment to you than me. By stabbing you in the back like this she didn't just betray you, she insulted your maternal love)

Alizey turned around, spotting me at the end of the staircase with her wet pink eyes. Her lips trembled as she stared at me sadly with embarrassment.

"Alizey ne aisa kuch nahin kiya. Uske baare mein aap aise kaise bol sakte hain?! Apne hi beti hai! Bohat qadr karti hai hamari. Ussey pata tha ke aap uske shohar-"
(Alizey didn't do anything like that. How can you speak about her like this?! She is our own daughter! She values us a lot. She knew that you wouldn't accept her husband-)