Chapter 9 - Angel of the Morning

9

It was later that same day as Dean pulled into a dinky motel parking lot, turning the car off as I started to sit up from Sam's lap in the backseat, making a face, "Are we home already?"

Dean let out a breath, shaking his head, "No, I'm just exhausted. I'm sorry, I can't make it the rest of the way home like this, we've still got a day's worth of driving left?"

Sam started to stretch a little from the backseat, shaking his head, "No, it's okay. We'll stay as long as you need to."

"Yeah, well I'm getting my own room. If I'm gonna get any sleep, then I need to be far away from you two."

I made a face, holding my head and laying back down, "Do whatever you want, but I've still got the psychic hangover of the century... I'm going to bed..."

Sam looked back at him when Dean sighed, shrugging, "Okay, fine. I'll be right back."

Dean left the car, heading towards the office as Sam looked down at me in his lap, brushing my hair back and tilting his head a little, "Are you really asleep or just faking?"

I kept my eyes closed, smiling a little, "I'm really asleep."

Sam laughed lightly, shaking his head as he brushed his thumb over the scratch on my face, his smile fading a little as he looked down at me and staying silent.

I slowly started to open my eyes, looking back up at him and smiling softly, "What's on your mind, Sam?"

Sam shrugged, shaking his head, "Nothing. It's okay, you can sleep. You deserve it."

I looked up at him with a smile before taking in a deep breath and starting to sit up, "You wanna talk about what happened earlier?"

Sam furrowed his brows, shaking his head, "Not if you don't want to? You just leveled an entire building, I'm not gonna make you do anything ever again?"

I laughed a little, shaking my head and sitting up beside him, holding onto his arm as I leaned against his shoulder, "You don't have to be afraid of me, Sam. I would never hurt you."

Sam looked back at me with a half-smile and shrugged, "I know. I just..."

I started to hear his mind drift, realizing just how much I had scared the shit out of him earlier and laughed to myself, shaking my head with a smirk, "You don't have to say anything, Sam, it's okay... I think I know what you're trying to say."

Sam stopped, looking back at me and sighing a little as he shook his head, "Cat, I know you can't always help it, but if you can? I'd like to have my own headspace back? I already share everything else with you?"

I looked back up at him, making a face and leaning my head back on his shoulder, "You're right, I'm sorry. I am getting better at controlling it, I just... I don't know, it's so tempting sometimes, you know?"

Sam smiled to himself, shaking his head, "No, I don't actually... Half the time, I don't have a clue what goes through my own head, much less yours or anyone else's?"

I started to laugh again when just then my phone went off, furrowing my brows and reaching for it in my back pocket, "Who the hell...?"

I saw the caller ID, my eyes lighting up as I quickly answered it, "Mandy?!"

"Hey, Cat. I'm assuming you're with Dean, right? Can you tell him his phone is turned off again?"

I smiled to myself, glancing back and seeing a confused look on Sam's face, "Yeah, sure? His phone is probably just dead, we've been... It's a long story, but tell me where the hell you have been?"