chapter 1

Other's comments on herself that Jennie would most commonly hear were quite and elegant, in addition to withdrawn and boring.

When she was young, such a personality might have been lovely. However, as she grew up, she was less and less able to integrate with her peers.

When her roommates discussed cosmetics, she retreated to the side, holding onto an original English novel; when they talked about male celebrities, she listened to the unfamiliar names in confusion, unable to contribute to the conversation.

Her style, speech, and behaviour had a maturity that does not match her actual age.

Jennie's ideal career was as a current affairs journalist. Everyone who learnt of her dream would nod approvingly and tell her, "That's great. You're perfect for it."

Although she was not good at interpersonal communication, she understood social norms. She could differentiate between praise and criticism and knew which their words were.

Jennie was quiet, calm, and someone who would make no mistakes. She was always an orderly and efficiently operated machine."Jennie, I'll have to trouble you for this. I'll bring you back milk tea later!"

"It's fine."

Hanging up the phone, Jennie put back on her jacket she had taken off halfway, dismissed the idea of taking an afternoon nap, and packed her notebook and pencil box into her bag.

The school arranged many seminars. To ensure the attendance rate, one had to register their attendance at the event even after they had signed up for it.

The list was passed from the front, and Jennie took the paper and neatly wrote down her roommate's name.

There were still ten minutes before the seminar started. She looked up at the screen on the back of the stage. "The Power of Branding: How to Design and Market" was a topic that she was not interested in. Fortunately, she brought along an assignment with her, so the next two hours would not be a waste.

Applause rang out in the venue, and Jennie followed by clapping perfunctorily, her attention focused on the book in front of her. Once she was engrossed in something, she would automatically put up a barrier.An hour later, Jennie stopped writing. She had completed the script for the speech she had to give next week.

She rubbed her right hand's purlicue (the space between the thumb and the forefinger) and stretched her back slightly, covering her mouth as she yawned.

She inadvertently raised her head and met the eyes of the person on the podium. Jennie froze and scrambled to avert her gaze.

"Was what I said not very interesting, or were some students staying up late studying the night before?"

When he said that, he looked at her.

She was thin-skinned, and her cheeks immediately turned scarlet at being teased.

"I'll talk about something interesting then. Should I tell all of you about my experience in Germany?"

The man leaned back on the chair, changed into a casual posture and began to speak leisurely.

Jennie did not dare let her mind wander off again. She smoothed her hair and focused her attention.He went off-topic for about half an hour, talking about the Germans' smug humour, about the saxophonist on Königssee (a lake), about the ten ways to make potatoes, and finally, from environmental protection, magically brought the topic back to his company.

Jennie subconsciously wandered off, her eyes straying from the screen to the man's face.

His name is Taehyung, a senior from several batches before. After graduating, he went abroad for further studies and was currently a senior executive at a German company. Since he was back in China for a business trip, the university invited him to speak.