chapter 7

The oil lamp swayed, and the wind chimes rattled as the wind blew.

Jennie boldly reached upwards and pulled at the corners of his mouth.

Taehyung's appearance, voice, warmth and even his heartbeat – they were all within her reach.

Once she raised her eyes, she could see him, and once she reached out, she could touch him. He was standing in front of her, and she could smell him and hear him. It was like crossing a light year [1], as though the stars had fallen from the sky to her fingertips.

She shook her head. It was not far. It was too close now.

"Hey, I'm sorry," the man half a meter away rubbed the back of his head and pointed to the SUV behind them, saying, "but I've been waiting here for several minutes. Let me go over and get my car."

She did not expect there to be other people. Jennie's face turned red, and she quickly withdrew her hand and moved to the side.

Taehyung was much more composed. His expression remained unchanged, and he nodded his head in apology, "Sorry."The man waved his hand and said with a smile, "I should be the one apologising for disrupting your date, but I'm in a hurry to pick my son up. Sorry about that."

After the man's car drove away and Jennie came back to her senses, she realised that both of them were just standing there foolishly. She exhaled, carrying her backpack and preparing to leave.

Taehyung strode forward to follow her. He took her hand naturally and wrapped it in his palm.

Jennie noticeably halted for a moment. Just as she raised her head, Taehyung beat her to it and spoke, "Why are your hands so cold?"

Jennie pursed her lips and decided not to speak anymore.

His hand was large and dry, and the warmth was passed over to her, little by little. His affection melted the glaciers in the winters, and Lisa silently accepted it.

After passing two street lights, Taehyung let go of her hand. Jennie's heart sank, and she buried the lower half of her face into the collar of her coat. Her disappointment was like trying to invade a labyrinth; she did not want to admit that she was unwilling to let go."Put it in your pocket," Taehyung said.

Jennie obediently did as she was told and thrust both hands into the pockets of her coat.

"You don't have to do it for this one," Taehyung lightly smiled. He walked to her other side and held her left hand.

During the entire walk to the alley entrance, not only was her hand covered with warmth; her whole body was burning, and even her breath was hot.

"We actually met a long time ago," Jennie stopped in her tracks.

The warm light from the street lamp shone on both of them, like the followspot of a grand stage.

Taehyung was stunned for a moment and asked, "When?"

"Many years ago, when you went back to school to give a speech. I was sitting in the audience," Jennie smiled, gazing off at a distance.

Taehyung tried to recall, but his memory was blurry. He continued to ask, "What did I speak about that day?"

Jennie shrugged. She did not mention that she had not been listening for half of the seminar and only said, "I can't remember."She calmly spoke of her regret from years ago, "There was a question-and-answer session at the end. I was going to raise my hand, but someone beat me to it."

Taehyung said, "I'll make up for it and give you a chance now. What was your question?"

Jennie met his gaze and shook her head, "I forgot, but she asked a question that I wanted to know the answer of anyway."