chapter 2

It was April, and the weather was already a little stuffy. The skyscrapers seemed even more towering under the sun's rays, and greenery was filling the streets. The wind and songbirds on the trees took the roles as the lead singers of the White Noise Orchestra, with the car sirens joining in as accompaniment from time to time. Together, they composed the daily tunes.

The air-conditioning in the office building was on full blast. Jennie touched her cold arms and lightened her steps in the silent lobby.

She had left the house half an hour early, so no one else was in the elevator.

When she pressed the floor number, the numbers on the display panel jumped, and the elevator slowly rose.

Jennie took a deep breath and scraped at her nail cover. It was white, newly painted last week. While washing clothes yesterday, she had caught onto a button, and a small part had chipped off at the corner.She clenched her fist and stuffed the blemish into her palm, covering it.

Over the past seven years, the childishness had faded. Now, she was a mature and elegant OL with exquisite makeup.

However, when the glass door opened to the sides and she looked up at the familiar logo, Jennie clutched her bag strap and was drawn back to that autumn.

She had worn a white T-shirt and a denim jacket, jotting down random drafts on her notebook. Inside the canvas bag, there was still a cup of unfinished instant coffee.

The HR personnel handed her the work card, and Jennie fastened the strap and hung it over her chest.

Because of a yawn that the man accidentally caught, she was teased and captivated [1] for many years.

The ID photo was newly taken. She was wearing a light-coloured shirt and smiling slightly at the camera.

Jennie stroked the line at the very bottom with her fingertips – it was her new title.

It was far more satisfying than a promotion.

She was standing on his battlefield, becoming his general, watching him stand at the peak as she expanded territories with him.

Lisa was a little eager to give it a try.

She wondered if her words during the interview had become a cursed blessing [2]. It has been four months since joining Xique, and Jennie still had not seen a glimpse of Taehyung.

If not for his prominent headshot on the company's official website, she might have suspected that she had come into the wrong company.

The marketing department was three floors away from the CEO office, and her daily meetings were not ranked high enough for her to ascend to the floors of the top-level management.

Jennie worked conscientiously every day. Her immediate boss, Lu Xiaoyue, was a straightforward and cheerful woman. She could learn a lot from working under her.

Work was busy, but she did not feel tired. Every day was fulfilling, and life was comfortable.Occasionally, she would hear his name while her colleagues were gossiping. Now, she no longer needed to inquire deliberately; she could quickly know his every move.

Taehyung had not updated his Weibo for a long time. There were usually moments like this back then when he stayed silent for three to four months.

Jennie used to panic over such a "disappearance", worrying about losing the only connection she had to him. However, Jennie was much calmer now because she knew that the company was recently busy preparing for the beauty exhibition in the next quarter. Taehyung had already been on several business trips these past two weeks.