Chapter 4: Close Calls

♡Joanna's POV♡

The next day, I visited the Kennedy's house, but an inexplicable unease lingered in the air. A feeling of darkness clouded the atmosphere, but I couldn't pinpoint the reason. While heading towards Jack's room, I noticed the absence of Joseph Sr. I couldn't get out walk in yesterday out of my head. The burden of keeping this knowledge to myself weighed heavily.

"Oh, hey Joanna," Kick greeted as she walked past me on her way to the washroom. "Hi Kick, how are you?" I asked, not wanting to detain her too long. "I'm good, how are you?" The newly 21-year-old responded. "I'm good as well. Not drinking too much, are we?" I teased with a small chuckle. "Not too much." She replied with a giggle. "Good, good. But I'll let you go. See you later, Kick." I said, continuing toward Jack's room. The secrets and discomfort lingered, creating an unsettling atmosphere within the Kennedy home.

I quietly entered Jack's room, a flood of memories rushing back as I saw him getting dressed. His shirt was off, leaving only his pants. Had I not been delayed by my conversation with Kick, my entrance could have been dangerously untimely for both of us.

As I searched for a safe place to avert my gaze, I noticed a scar on his back, it was small but resembled a healed wound. The curiosity about its origin overcame me, and I approached Jack slowly, still unseen by the 24-year-old before me.

I walked up and ran a light finger over the scar on Jack's back. Startled, he jumped turning around quickly. "JOANNA!?" The boy let out a surprised yell, a smile on his face, he studied my features from afar. "What are you doing here?" I asked, excited that my best friend was back. "I came back for Thanksgiving, I'll be back for Christmas too, thanks to Joseph." I could help but shutter at the mention of the man's father. Luckily, Jack didn't notice as he pulled me into a hug.

"What's that scar on your back?" I asked, turning him around to run my finger over it again. As I touched the scar for the second time, he got goosebumps covering the exposed skin. "I got it from the navy, fell into a boat." He explained, avoiding eye contact in the mirror. Sensing my concern, he gave me a comforting hug never looking me in the eyes.

During that embrace, a surge of excitement overwhelmed me. I missed Jack so much, and having him back in person was a joyous moment. Despite an unknown feeling in my chest, I decided to ignore it for both our sakes. The significance of that emotion remained elusive, and I was determined to focus on the happiness of Jack's return.

•[Third person]•

The man sitting across from the young girl couldn't shake the uneasy fluttering in his stomach, a sensation akin to butterflies. This wasn't the first time he experienced it around her, yet its origin remained elusive. Jack had grappled with these sensations for years, unable to pinpoint their source. But he wasn't alone in his disconcertion; another young man found his head in the clouds whenever he was near the girl.

To pass the time as they often did, the pair set sail, their favorite escape from the weight of their responsibilities and the lingering unease. Once anchored, they stretched out on the deck, gazing up at the vast expanse of the sky, exchanging tales of their time apart.

"What's your plan for the future?" Jack inquired, turning to the girl beside him. "Well, as you know, I'm a Harvard student, and I'm heading into law." She replied, her smile radiant with pride. "That's incredible, Jo. I'm genuinely thrilled for you." Jack remarked, his eyes reflecting admiration. "Any specific field of law you're interested in?" he asked, curiosity coloring his tone. "I aspire to be an attorney; perhaps one day, I'll establish my own firm." Joanna revealed, earning another hug from Jack, who beamed with pride.

"And you? Any post-war plans?" Joanna queried, though she already knew the answer, well aware of the Kennedy boys' penchant for self-discussion. "I graduated from Harvard last year. I'll stick with the navy until the war's end, assuming I make it, and afterward, I'll delve into politics." Jack declared, his self-assurance evident. Joanna's breath caught when Jack mentioned the uncertainty of survival, and he sensed her unease. "Hey, Joanna, it's alright. I'll do everything in my power to stay safe." He reassured her.