Chapter 8: Presidential Dances

The next day, I went back to the Kennedy's house to check in on the kids. I'm glad he told them but it's still hard.

I walked into the house and went straight for the eldest boys room. When I walked in, right away, I could tell he knew. His back was slouched, his head in his hands, a tissue on his bed. "Joe?" I said walking over to his bed to give him a hug. "How are you doing?" I asked looking at the man in front of me.

"It just sucks, I don't even know when I'll be able to see her again." He said looking at the floor, knowing if he looked me in the eyes, he'd lose it. "I know, and I'm so sorry this happened. I wouldn't wish this upon anyone." I said walking over putting my arm on his shoulders reassuringly.

"But you mustn't be sad about the past or the present, you must be happy for the future, how's the presidency Mr. president?" I said with a small laugh making him give a small chuckle as well. "It's going great Joanna, please, visit the white house more." He answered jokingly. "Oh, well I just might have to." I said smiling wide.

"Please, as a guest you must dance with Mr. president, don't you think?" He said reaching his hand out to me. Reaching out to accept his offer I commented "You probably shouldn't offer every female visitor a dance, it's a bit... suspicious." Ending the sentence with a laugh. "Only the special women Miss Meyers. who do you take me for?" He said as we started to bounce around in our dance.

"Well, you are a Kennedy, Mr president." I said with a laugh as he pulled me back into his arms. "Oh God, please, don't remind me." He answered with a chuckle.

Then we just danced and talked. It was a lot of fun and a good opportunity for Joe and I to bond. While we were dancing, I tripped over a shoe lying on Joe's floor. I fell into Joe, our faces inches apart, and ofcourse right when I fell, Jack walked in, seeing only the space, or lack there of between Joe and I. I didn't feel anything with Joe like I did with Jack yesterday.

Jack, speechless, walked out of the room visibly angry, I turned to Joe and he told me to follow. I ran out of Joe's room down the hall where the angry footsteps are going.

"Jack?! Jack, please stop walking so fast." I called down the hall to the boy several steps ahead of me. I could tell he was angry and that made me scared. "Jack please." I said upset and tired.

We made it outside, down two flights of stairs and out the side door into their large lawn. "Jack, please let me explain." I cried out finally done with all the stomping around. "Explain what? How you're a hussy, you're kissing me one day then my older brother the next?" I could hear the hurt in his voice, and it hurt me to cause him this pain.

I didn't know what to say, his words were hurtful but I understand why he's so angry, he saw it wrong. "Jack, please sit down and let me explain." I said as I walked closer to him. "Why should I listen to you." He said with spite laced in his words.

"Because, you saw wrong. I didn't kiss Joe, we were dancing and I tripped into him." I said reaching my hand out to his shoulder but he dodged it. "How do you expect me to believe you?" He said more spiteful then before.

I sighed and tried to explain it again. "Jack, I promise, I didn't kiss Joe, I didn't even feel anything for him. I felt something with you." I admitted making him look down and think to himself.

"Wait, really?" He asked making me stay quiet. I didn't know what to say, I'm very confused about how I feel, I don't even know if I like him like that. He was happy when I brought it up but then turned angry again because the silence gave him time to think again.

"If I hear otherwise Josephine, I'm going to be angry." He said walking  back inside. I didn't know what to do, I just sat there on the porch steps. John never calls me Josephine, I don't think he ever has, I think it's always been Joanna, and then it turned to Jo.

"Joanna, are you ok?" Joe's voice asked as the door to the house shut. "I'm fine." I answered bluntly. "I can talk to him for you, I'm sorry this happened, it's all my fault. you guys are such a cute couple." That confused me. "Joe? Jack and I aren't together." I said looking at him questioningly. "Well it doesn't seem like it." He said smiling a bit before he walked off in the same direction John did.

I just sat there before I went to go check on the other Kennedy children. Eunice was most heartbroken, Rosemary was her bestfriend and she was taken from her, neither of them having a choice in the matter.

Later, while I was walking in the house, Joe sr. called me into his office.

"Josephine, thank you for not telling anyone in this house or your house. Here is your money that I promised you." He said standing up from his desk chair leading me to the door. "Thank you sir." Without another word, I walked back home, envelope hidden from the overlookers. I couldn't bare looking at the family, especially not John.

When I got to my room I opened the envelope where $300 sat with a threatening thank you letter from the head of the household next door.