Chapter 7: Closer Calls

Just as Jack reciprocated the kiss, Bobby's voice pierced the air, calling out our names in a worried tone. "John? Joanna? Are you guys in here?" Bobby's concern was evident as he entered the boat house. "Mom said that you two ran out of the house and told me to look for you." He called out.

Startled, I leaped off John, banging my shoulder blade on a canoe, falling to the ground in the process. Smooth as ever. Jack responded, "Yeah, we're up by the small boats." As he casually moved to prevent more boats from toppling onto me.

Bobby reached us, discovering me on my back in pain, and Jack holding the canoes so they wouldn't fall any further. Concerned, Bobby inquired, "Joanna, are you okay?" Trying to conceal the pain, I responded, "Doing great, Bobby. Would you be a dear and help me up, gently?" I asked, taking a deep breath. Jack had secured the canoes to prevent them from falling, and he knelt down beside me, mirroring Bobby's concern.

Bobby insisted on lifting me into his arms, Jack attempting to intervene but facing resistance. An argument ensued between John and Bobby, with Bobby playfully asserting he could handle it. Jack, realizing the futility, went to fetch the housemaid, a former nurse for the Kennedys.

Bobby carried me to Jack's room while the housemaid, Alice, entered. Concerned, she inquired about the fall. Trying to downplay it, I assured her I was fine. As I attempted to shift onto my stomach, a sharp pain shot through my back, prompting a small gasp.

♤Jack's POV♤

Joanna's unexpected kiss caught me off guard. It brought back memories from a similar incident four years ago, a night we never discussed. The images of that day, her body, face, and the empty feeling when I woke up to find her gone, often replayed in my mind. I longed to hold her again, a desire that seemed unattainable until today.

The brief moment I held her today, about two minutes, left me wondering where we would be if Bobby hadn't walked in. Before his interruption, it seemed neither of us was ready to stop. Although I understand Bobby couldn't have known, I can't help but feel frustrated. I've been dreaming of this for four years, and the timing was finally right, only to be cut short.

♡Joanna's POV♡

While I felt a tinge of sadness that Bobby interrupted the intimate moment between Jack and me, I also recognized the silver lining. It was for the best, providing a moment for my brain to process and react. Despite my active participation, the situation was nothing but confusing.

Recalling the previous similar occurrence, I had left before Jack woke up, with only fragments of the night etched in my memory. Falling asleep next to Jack's naked body, only half covered by the blanket, in his parents' guest house was the only recollection I carried from that night.

Alice examined my back and, seeing the need for treatment, dispatched Jack for an ice cap while she sent Bobby to retrieve wound wrap. Upon their return, Alice, with apologetic eyes, warned me about the impending cold. As she gently applied the ice cap to my skin and began wrapping the cold around my body, the boys turned around. Alice shot them a glare, ensuring my modesty during the process.

As both boys obediently faced away, Alice and I exchanged funny faces, stifling our laughter to avoid their curiosity. Once Alice completed wrapping my back, I managed to put on a shirt. She playfully scolded the boys, proclaiming, "Boys, behave yourselves with Joanna; she's a good one." Alice's words left my eyebrows furrowed. "You may turn around now, boys." She declared before leaving the room.

Alice, having raised the boys, likely sensed the swirling thoughts and emotions in the room. With her longstanding knowledge of me, she understood the dynamics well.

As the boys turned around, they rushed to my side, expressing gratitude for my well-being. "Boys, I'm fine. I just need some rest. I think I should go back home." I suggested, glancing at Jack before shifting my gaze to Bobby. Standing up, I made my way back to my house.

As I was walking out of the house, Joseph called me into his office. "Joanna, I would like to tell you that I am going to be telling the kids about Rosemary tonight. You can come back tomorrow to check in on them." He said not looking up at me.