ᴀ ʟᴏᴄᴋ ɪɴ, ᴀ ᴋᴀʀᴀᴛᴇ ɢɪʀʟ, ᴀɴᴅ ᴀ ᴅɪꜱɢᴜꜱᴛɪɴɢ ʜᴀʙɪᴛ

Omniscient POV:

~

August 10th, 1992

Medford, Texas

~

Raina was training in her backyard. Working on her CMX form, Raina pulls out the air track from her shed to practice flips.

She warms up with cartwheels,

then handstands,

followed up by backbends.

Raina nails her back walkover easily. Now it's time for the big one, the back handspring.

For the first one, she falls a little to the side. But that's okay, she just needs to get warmed up. On the second, Raina slips on the edge of the air track and into the grass.

She gets up, and dusts herself off. Until, she sees a giant grass stain on the side of her white shirt.

"Ah, shit. Mom is going to kill me." Raina sighs to herself and takes off the shirt, now in only her sports bra.

She jogs to her room, finds a new shirt and heads over to the laundry room.

When Raina walks in, she sees her dad with tools surrounding him.

"This. Stupid. Piece. Of. Shit!" Joey bangs on the washing machine.

Raina backs up from her enraged dad. "What happened?"

"This shitty washing machine that your stupid mother got used, doesn't work." Joey bangs once again. "I wonder why."

Joey and Chlöe most definitely aren't your picture-perfect couple. They call each other names, get into arguments often, all of that stuff. Most of the extended family wonders how they are not separated or divorced by now.

Raina laughs. "Well, I need to wash my shirt." She holds up the grass-stained shirt.

"Hide that from your mom." Joey gives his daughter a look. "But there is no way you're washing that here. The machine is busted."

Raina groans. "So what do I do?"

"Find a laundromat." Joey shrugs and goes back to work.

Raina lets out a groan once again, and exits the room with a sigh. Raina grabs her laundry basket too, because if she's out she might as well do the rest of her laundry.

~

Medford Wash

~

Raina has been at this washing machine for almost five minutes now. What was the point of her driving all the way to a laundromat just for it to be jammed?

"Another fucking quarter." Raina grits through her teeth and pulls another coin out of her pocket. The washing machine has ate almost half of her quarters now.

Raina starts to bang on the washing machine. "C'mon!" She shouts and kicks the machine out of frustration.

A young boy, around the same age, notices Raina kicking the machine. He's amazed by her strong kicks and beautiful face.

Raina looks up to see him staring at her.

"Need a hand?" The boy asks.

Raina nods and backs away from the machine. "This thing ate all my quarters, and now it's stuck." She sighs.

"That tends to happen to number seven. What you want to do is a push-pull." The boy instructs, and shows Raina how to do it.

She's amazed by this. "And I was here pushing like a fucking fool." Raina chuckles.