Chapter 1: The Graduates

"Hey, Kanade.. Let's go outside. I want to get some fresh air."

Otonashi said, calmly staring at Kanade. This request confused her, but decided not to question it and nodded in agreement. After stepping outside the gym doors, they just stood there, side by side, without saying a word. Moments passed, and not a single word was said from either one of them. Otonashi then starts thinking to himself.

(I got her outside.. now what? This has gotten me no where! I really want to confess my feelings to her.. but I don't know how to word them correctly.)

Otonashi looked at Kanade, still standing next to him. She was staring at the ground, almost looking lifeless.

(I've got to say something! Come on Otonashi, think!)

Otonashi was on the verge of tears, ready to give up on his feelings, but was interrupted with a light tug on his left sleeve.

"Let's go to the track"

Kanade said softly. She then noticed a single tear trickle down Otonashi's face.

"Is something wrong? Was it something I said? We can stay here if you'd like."

Kanade asked in a upset tone.

"N-no, nothing's wrong.. I just miss the others already, that's all."

He replies with a crooked smile. Kanade stares at him for a while, eventually, shrugging it off. Otonashi then steps forward.

"Alright, let's go to the track!"

He says with enthusiasm. Kanade smiles.

"Sure."

They head up the side walk towards the track.