Chapter 1

Winning that match reminded Natalie why she persevered through her shitty conditions.

The adrenaline,

And moment of pure bliss and elation.

She felt alive.

Soccer was the outlet that really kept her going. Though the drugs were another useful tool. She liked feeling important and needed. An emotion she was deprived of at home. She liked her team. She was looked upon poorly by her peers but when was with her team she was worth something. Though they didn't share much in common, all coming from far different backgrounds, soccer unexpectedly binded these girls together. It wasn't forceful but natural. A group that worked, with cherished friendships.

However, at times it would once again become apparent, these differences. And Taissa's proposal against the freshman Ali disclosed the diverging principles of the team. Though Nat could only agree that the ungrateful freshman was a nuisance, she was a player on their team and an extra source of support.

"So what are you suggesting Tai we freeze her out?" i said

"Oh don't act like you have morals now Scatorrcio!"

Lottie stood with them, fixed in thought. Arms folded as one of her hands stroked her necklace. Her face unreadable. Shauna approached the three with her gym bag in hand following the end of the prep rally. She walked with greater purpose after overhearing the quips being thrown.

"What are you talking about?", concern consuming her voice and face as her brows furrowed

Tai doesn't shift her gaze focusing only on me as I return the glare. Lottie lets out a sigh before answering for us.

"Ali."

"What about her?" Shauna follows

"Did you blackout at states, she totally choked!" Tai snaps finally meeting Shauna's eyes

"She's a freshman Tai!" I added

"She's a liability!"

Tensions rise between us again before Shauna breaks it.

"So what do you want to do about it?"

"She can't screw up if she doesn't get the ball."

Silence follows as Shauna takes in her suggestion. Lottie breaks it with a cautious tone.

"She kinda sucks but... i don't know."

"That's because it's bullshit!" I exclaimed

"What's your plan then!" Tai recoiled

"I don't know. Play like a fucking team and win."

"As if you care! As if you care about anything. But newsflash Nat, these games actually matter for some of us! You know college and all. Get your shit together."

I am usually tempered but in this moment I could only smile at the irony of my teammates turning against each other and against me.

"You know what fuck this."

I picked up my gym bag and walked away.

She made her way off campus beginning her walk home. She would take a faded path through the forest that rests besides her school. She found comfort in these walks. The same way she found comfort in playing soccer. It allowed her to clear her head. To be present.

"Slow down Scatorccio."

I turned to see Lottie gracefully running to my side.

"You walk really fast you know."