Chapter 3

The team dispersed, claiming seats and storing their luggage.  I sat down in an aisle seat, giving Van the window. She was buzzing despite the early hour, opening her window curiously. She was chatty, hardly giving me a chance to wake up on our bus there making me grateful for the moment of silence i received now as she settled in. I took out my walkman, delicately unwinding the knotted wire. With another teammate stopping by my side I turned to see Lottie placing her suitcase effortlessly in the overhead compartment opposite me, her hair carefully clipped back on one side with a small yellow bow, allowing her soft curls to fall politely. She then continued to do the same for Laura lee's suitcase before moving to allow Laura lee past her to take the window seat. It was while she waited for Laura lee to settle that she caught my prying eyes. She offered a light smile before taking her seat. I turned my attention back to my walkman placing the headphones delicately on my head.

"Your really gonna tune us all out?" Van sneered

"I'm trying to." I said pressing play

"Quite rude." Lottie chimed

"Yes, disrespectful even."

I scoffed pulling my headphones down around my neck glancing between the two in disbelief. Lottie was now perched against her arm rest devoting her full attention into annoying me. I turned to Van.

"You have not shut up all morning what more could you possibly have to say?"

"Many things."

"Like what?'

"Like what's your favorite color?" Lottie said, her cunning grin growing

I scoffed a laugh.

"I'm done with you two." I said finally putting my headphones on again

The two laughed sinking back into their seats. I tried to fall asleep - but with the plane now airborne and 30 minutes passing i began to give up sitting back up. I looked to Van who laid coddled in the corner, her head resting against the window asleep. Unfair. I looked to my right to see Laura lee in a similar position while Lottie sat with her feet on her seat, her knees pressed tightly against the seat in front of her as she read a book.

"That can not be comfortable." I whispered as to not wake the sleeping passengers

Lottie turned startled and then let out a soft chuckle.

"Well good morning sleeping beauty." she said following my low volume

I leaned across my arm rest nosy, to take a peek at her book.

"What are you reading?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me what you were listening to." 

I looked up  to see her fatuous smile inches from my intended glare which now broke into an awkward glance away in my flustered state. I was not used to the intimacy and warmth from that of Lottie Matthews. I took a breath burying my illicit nerves before returning to meet her kind brown eyes.

"Nothing's easy with you huh?"

Her smile only grew.

"I was listening to Mazzy Star." i said smugly

"And i am reading Little Women." She confessed showing me the cover

A silenced followed with my only motive achieved.

"So did you wake from your slumber only to ask me that?"

I let out a soft chuckle.

"I wasn't actually asleep."

"Well you could have fooled me." she said loosely, returning her attention back to her book.

Uncertain of whether to return to the comfort of my seat i studied her face momentarily. With her eyes devoted down to her book i noticed the long length of her delicate lashes. I noticed how a gentle curl in her hair rested against her exposed collarbone. I noticed the tender pull of her lip as she bit it nervously - yet the action could also be mistaken for concentration. I noticed the sweet scent of lavender - with a hint of jasmine. The aroma was intoxicating.