Chapter 2

I took another comforting drag of the cigarette. Van stood by my side, sipping her drink, watching the party build and fill with each new student that arrived.

"I'm surprised you showed considering what happened today." Van broke the silence

"I could say the same about you."

"Well the difference between you and me is i don't pretend to enjoy the company of our team." she teased

"Hey that's not true. I like our team." I chuckled, only receiving a skeptical glare from Van

"Ok fine i like the vast majority of our team." I admitted

"I know you do i'm only teasing. I guess i just mean today especially with the tensions between you and Tai."

"There's tensions between Tai and the entire team, not just me." 

"That is also true." Van nodded along, the alcohol becoming apparent in her sloppy mannerisms

I only smiled in amusement at the girl therefore fostering my surprise when i looked back up to see Lottie only a couple steps away from reaching me.

"You came!" she said, her crooked smile widening

"I said i would didn't I." 

I couldn't help but mirror her expression, the girls smile as infectious as her laugh. Van included herself with a greeting and it wasn't until this that Lottie even glanced her way, returning the welcome.

"Im gonna get another drink you want one Nat?" Van asked

"I'm good thanks."

Van nodded before beginning to walk away.

"Take it easy Van we kinda have the olympics tomorrow." I yelled out after her

She replied only with her middle finger not even bothering to turn. Lottie chuckled as i shook my head with a smile, staring off at the ginger. When i turned my attention back to Lottie i was met with her eyes already looking down on me, a smile playing on her lips. I let out a nervous laugh in an attempt to hide my flustered state.

"I'm really glad you came." she finally said

I found myself sighing uncontrollably looking down to the ground momentarily before meeting her gaze again with a smile.

"Why's that?"

"Well firstly, now i don't have to deal with the team's drama alone."

I smiled and she took another step closer, compelling me to tilt my head  faintly higher to continue to meet her eyes.

"And secondly i get to stare at that smile longer." 

Her eyes flashing to my lips for that brief moment was enough to bring a faint red to my cheeks. I swiftly looked away regretting this action immediately as now i had seen something i couldn't ignore. 

"Fuck." I murmured before walking past Lottie, striding towards the soon to be chaos.

Shauna and Tai stood by the keg, Van in between them as their argument escalated.

Lottie took my side again a moment later, putting together the situation quickly. She walked with as much urgency as me with no trace of our conversation lingering on her mind. She understood the gravity of this, which i was grateful for. The last thing i would want is for her to think i was rude. 

They reached the group. 

"And your a fucking sociopath." Shauna exclaimed

"Hey calm down." Van said putting her hand on the girls shoulder