Chapter 1: One Year Ago

As the screen turned on, it stayed black but had the words "One year ago" written in the middle.

Multiple winces and heavy sighs were heard around the room. Ryan looked around and saw the cringing expressions on most faces and had a feeling she knew what was going to be shown.

The words faded away and the screen lit up to show the trees creating the forest outside of the lodge as it snows.

The angle changed to show one of the missing twins, Beth, as she walked up to a window.

A quiet but strangled gasp came from the far left side of the room as Beth's face was shown. Anyone who was tempted to look over saw Josh with a hand over his mouth and tears gathering in his eyes.

Shifting away from Beth, the outside of the lodge was shown again.

There was only the side of the lodge seen for several seconds. Suddenly someone with a machete stepped into view.

Everyone that was there night had widened eyes. They had no idea someone else had been on the mountain let alone near the lodge.

The scene shifts again to inside the cabin.

Now a group, containing Jessica, Emily, Mike, and Sam, is seen standing around in the kitchen. Chris and Josh are sitting on stools while their heads lay down on the counter passed out. Beth is still standing at the window.

Jessica sets down a paper on the counter as Emily says, "Oh my god! I can't believe you actually did this." Mike was silent, but he scratched the back of his head before shaking it back and forth in shock as well.

Jess was hushing Emily before Sam looked between them all as she said, "Don't you guys think this is a little bit cruel." Jess sighed and replied, "Oh come on, she deserves it." Shaking her head Sam made the rebuttal, "It is not her fault that she has a huge crush on Mike." "Hannah's been making the moves on him, I'm just looking out for my girl Em."

Emily and Jess tensed as they saw themselves cooperating. A lot has happened since then.

As Jess led the group out of the kitchen and into the main area of the lodge Emily said, "Just because he's class Prez doesn't mean he belongs to everyone... Mike is my man." Mike let out a lighthearted scoff and added, "Hey, Em. I'm not anybody's man." As Emily replied, "Whatever you say, darling!" Sam broke off from the group, that now also included Ashley and Matt, to head upstairs.

Once Sam had trekked up two flights of stairs she walked down a short hallway and through a set of doors. When the doors were closed she called out, "Hannah!"

The scene switched again to show a bedroom in the lodge.

Everybody that wasn't Hannah, Beth, or Sam was in the room and starting to hide. Ashley crouches behind a partition, Matt hides in the closet, and Emily and Jess slide under the bed as Mike stands there waiting for Hannah.

Hannah is then shown in the hallway holding a lit candle. She calls out a whispered, "Mike?" She walks down the hall a couple of feet before entering a bedroom. As she opens the door and enters the bedroom she calls out another, "Mike? It's Hannah." Mike steps forward as he says, "Hey, Hannah."

The scene switches back to Beth in the kitchen.

Beth had been looking out the window and happened to see movement. Looking over her shoulder she asks, "Hey... Did you see that? Dad said it'd just be us this weekend." Finally stepping away from the window, Beth calls out for her brother. "Josh?" However, as Beth walks around the counter she sidles up to Josh's right side and picks up the bottle of alcohol he had been drinking from. Since he is passed out she knocks on his shoulder as she says, "Jeez, Josh. Once again, brother, you've outdone us all." Beth shakes him a bit more, but all Josh does is grumble.