Chapter 2: Memento Mori

As the screen lightened up again a beautiful snowy mountain view was shown as a bus drove along the road.

Suddenly there is the voice of a radio host talking. "Today is the one year anniversary of the dreadful tragedy that took place on Mount Washington... Sheriff Annie Cline who was in charge of the investigation..." The Sheriff is then heard saying a pleasant, "Thanks for having me, Marty." The radio seems to cut out a bit before Marty says, "-- listeners an update on Hannah and Beth Washington, the twins who are still missing..."

A somber mood enveloped the room as they all remembered the fall they had just watched.

The bus is still driving along the road as the sheriff says, "One year ago tonight the Washington girls left the safety of their parents' lodge and headed out into a snowstorm..." The radio jams for a second before the host is heard asking, "-foul play?..." To this, the sheriff replies, "Not officially no. There is one individual we're considering as a person of interest but his whereabouts are currently unknown. He has an interesting history with the Washington family..."

The radio continues to briefly cut out, but the sheriff is heard saying, "He had warned them against pursuing their construction project... and claimed the land was sacred to his forefathers." 

A closer shot of the bus is shown as it continues down the road. A view into one of the windows shows that Sam is riding on this bus.

Sam's eyes widen seeing herself in the same clothes she was currently wearing.

However, Sam wasn't alone.

Slumped in her seat to Sam's left, and leaning her head of straight red hair on her shoulder, was an asleep Ryan Blackwell.

Ryan nearly snorted in amusement as she saw her sleeping self on screen.

Sam had earbuds in and was listening to the radio show that had been playing. Ryan had earbuds in as well but muffled heavy metal music was all that could be heard.

As Sam looked out the window of the bus the radio host was saying, "You know there is still the old Sanitorium on the mountain. Could he be hiding there?" The sheriff replied, "My officers did search the grounds but... the girls themselves couldn't have made it that far..."

Sam looked down at her phone as the radio host said, "Something about that mountain seems to breed tragic events." "More than you know Marty," the sheriff replied.

Sam's phone was then shown. The radio show she had been listening to was called Radio From The Pines. As the host thanked the sheriff for coming on, and the show ended, Sam clicked a button on her phone to pull up a video of what looked like Josh.

Everyone in the room knew exactly what video was about to play. They had all received the same one.

On the phone screen, Josh spread his arms wide and said, "Well hello friends and fans..." He didn't like the way it turned out because, without cutting the video, he stepped forward, zoomed the shot in closer, and mumbled, "...alright let's do that again..."

When he was set up he tried again.

"Alright. Well hello friends and fans! It's beyond awesome to have you guys all back this year. First off, I gotta say I am super excited to welcome all my pals back to the annual Blackwood winter getaway!"

To emphasize his point Josh raised his hands and made cheering noises.

Quickly adopting a more neutral tone he continued, "So, um... Let me just let you know, let's take a moment to address the 'elephant in the room' for a second... I know you're all probably worried about me..."