GUIDING THROUGH DARKNESS

The guests were scattered throughout the farmhouse, creating different pockets of activity. Some women gathered, engaged in lively gossip about the wedding, while children played gleefully in the garden. On the other side of the garden, the men focused their attention on the dishes spread served by the waiters. Amidst all this, a few women had gathered around Noor Jahan, while some cousins had surrounded Haseena and Karishma, bombarding them with all sorts of questions. It was evident to Karishma that Haseena was growing increasingly irritated with their prying inquiries.

One of them commented, "Lagta hai aap dono humesha twin karte hai..."

Karishma, sensing Haseena's growing irritation, interjected quickly, "Not really. Just a coincidence."

Another younger cousin chimed in, "Aap ne hume apni shaadi mein bulaya hi nai..."

Karishma responded before Haseena could, "Haan... We wanted a private and small wedding. Humari taraf se bhi bas kuch hi closest family members the."

"Rehne do Alina... Shayad Haseena ke pas budget nai tha, hum sab ko Canada bulaye..." One of the elder cousin remarked.

Haseena couldn't hold back her annoyance any longer, "Di... Aap ko ek fact batate hai."

"Haan batao na...," She replied.

Karishma sensed the tension rising and knew what was coming. Haseena spoke firmly, "Humare Ammi ke pas itna paisa hai ki aapko aur aapke puri family aur saath mein tum sab ki families ko bhi visa se lekar return ticket tak sab kuch kare. But the sad news is I know you all very well. So I knew what could you all have done if I had invited you guys. Hume koi shauk nai hai humare itne special din ko kharab kare, Excuse me!"

With that, Haseena walked away from the gathering. Everyone around Haseena was taken aback by the bitter truth, except for Karishma, who remained silent, unsure of what to say in the moment.

Karishma broke the silence, trying to ease the tension. "Don't worry... Wo mazak kar rahi hai. Tum sab ko toh pata hai unka nature."

One of them nodded, saying, "Haan... haan... Hume aadat hogayi hai. Acha aap bataiye hum aap ko kya bole? Bhabhi or kuch aur?"

Karishma decided to challenge the stereotype. "Tum batao kya bolte ho jab tumare ghar ki koi member aata hai?"

The same cousin answered, "Bhabhi ya Jiju."

Karishma smiled, countering, "Ab jiju ko bol nai sakte toh bhabhi hi bolo. Shayad tumari ammi ye nai seekhaya... Koi baat nai hum ne bata diya."

The conversation continued for a while as Karishma introduced herself, explained her profession, and shared more about her life. Eventually, they all decided to click some pictures together.

A waiter approached and informed them, "Ma'am... Badi ma'am aap dono ko bula rahi hai."

Karishma replied, "Ji hum jate hai."

She went to find Haseena, back hugging her and planting a kiss on her cheek. "Jaan... Ammi is calling."

Haseena didn't mind the affectionate gesture, but Asiya, who was nearby with her child, felt a bit awkward and faked a cough to gain Karishma's attention. Karishma immediately left Haseena.

Karishma apologized, "Sorry... Hum ne aap ko nai dekha."

Haseena intervened, "Aap ko sorry bolne ki zaroorat nai hai. Right, di?"

Asiya reluctantly agreed, "Haan Karishma, sorry kyu bol rahi ho?"

Karishma changed the topic, "Ye aap ki beti hai?"

Asiya replied proudly, "Haan... Kuch din pehle hi 2 saal ki hui hai."

Karishma took the baby in her arms and said, "So cute... Di, she is the cutest." Karishma couldn't resist pulling the baby's cheek affectionately. "Haseena, hume bhi-"