Chapter 6: Never Have I Ever

"Hanni." Minji whispered softly. Hanni was certain it was a dream, because she could feel that she was warm in her bed, clutching her pillow. "Hanni." Minji said again, a little more urgently. She could feel Minji's breath, hot on her chest and it was clear this was not a dream. Hanni opened her eyes to where she was laying partway on top of Minji, gripping tightly around her neck.

"Shit, I'm sorry." Hanni grunted quietly, peeling herself off of her friend. They laid next to each other, narrow bed not leaving much space between them. Minji's face was red, strands of her hair matted to her face with sweat. Goosebumps raised near Hanni's collarbone where her skin was the warmest, from the sudden exposure to cool air. She ignored her sore body and the pounding in her head as she watched Minji take a few gulping breaths.

"I was pretty sure I was going to die." Minji said, smile in the corners of her lips. "I don't understand how you're such a heavy sleeper."

"You should've just pushed me off." Hanni said, trying hard not to be embarrassed by her sleeping position.

"I didn't want you to fall off the bed or anything. It's not like there's a whole lot of room." Minji shrugged. There really wasn't. Hanni could feel Minji's still irregular breaths on her face, only inches away on their shared pillow. She wanted to run a finger over her cheekbones, to feel if the skin there was really as soft as it looked, but instead she stuffed her hand into the pocket of the sweatpants Minji had lent her to sleep in. "How do you feel?" Minji asked softly.

"Everything hurts." Hanni groaned. It felt like she had done some serious exercise, but she was knew that wasn't the case.

Minji chuckled. "Did you sleep okay, at least?" She asked.

"No actually." Hanni mumbled. "I had this terrible dream that Jay kissed me and my mom is going to get married and I spent Halloween crying all over you."

Minji smirked at her. "Good to see none of that affected your ability to be a complete smartass."

"Shit. I was really hoping none of that was real." Hanni said quietly. Minji frowned at her apologetically. "I can't believe you even found me."

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"Last night. You came and found me even though you were mad at me." Hanni said.

"I wasn't mad enough to let anything happen to you." Minji said seriously. "And it's a good thing I got there when I did, that guy, your ex or whatever, did he hurt you?"

"Who, Jay? No." Hanni shook her head. "He just seriously misread the moment, I think." Hanni frowned.

"I should've just came with you. I could've looked out for you." MInji sighed.

"I should've just not gotten so drunk. It's not your fault. Plus, you know, we were fighting anyway." Hanni smirked.

"Maybe if you weren't always trying to pick a fight with me." MInji shrugged, sitting up on the bed.

"I am not!" Hanni sat up, too.

"Listen, um, about all that." Minji said. She chewed lightly on her bottom lip. Almost like she was nervous. Was she nervous? Hanni wondered for a moment. What could possibly make Minji nervous? "I was thinking yesterday, after you left-" Minji started.

"You mean after you made me leave?" Hanni teased.

"There you go, picking fights again." Minji said, corners of her mouth upturned.

"I am not! Anyway, what were you saying?" Hanni huffed.

"I was saying, after you left yesterday-" She swallowed. "I decided that I want to tell you things." Minji said. The look on Minji's face said that this was a big deal, but Hanni didn't quite understand.