Chapter 14: Fireworks

"Can you like, stop trying to eat your way to Minji's heart for like three seconds?" Hanni flinched. Kazuha's voice was too loud to be so close to her ear. She reached up to where the phone was pinned between her head and shoulder to turn the volume down.

"Shut up," Hanni groaned, reaching back into her dresser for more clothes.

"Ah, so you don't deny it," Kazuha said.

"Was there a reason you called?" Hanni asked, tossing a t-shirt across the room into a suitcase.

"Someone's testy," Kazuha sniggered.

"I'm not," Hanni sighed. "Just, stressed about going home."

"Stressed about going home? Or stressed about not seeing Minji for two weeks?"

"I can't be both?" Hanni asked, shifting aside some clothes in the drawer.

"So I take it you haven't talked to her yet?" Kazuha asked.

"No," Hanni sighed. "It's just- there hasn't really been a good time-"

"You literally live across the hall from each other," Kazuha deadpanned.

"Yeah, I know, it's really been making it hard for me to think clearly-"

"Because you're too busy fucking-" Kazuha said.

"No!" Hanni defended. "Because we've been- hanging out at lot."

"And in all the time you've been hanging out there's somehow never been an opportunity to ask her what you guys are doing?" Kazuha asked.

"I mean, ugh, there probably has but, I don't know. It's just weird. Things are good right now, we're good and everything is finally where I want it to be- I just don't want to fuck everything up and have her shut down again," Hanni sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

"Okay, but obviously things aren't where you want them to be."

"It's better than before," Hanni said.

"If you say so," Kazuha concluded, an obvious skeptic. "Anyway, I was calling to remind you about the party tonight since I'm sure you haven't been keeping track of the date in your haze of post-coiltial bliss"

"Oh my god-"

"What? Not judging, I've totally been there," Kazuha chuckled.

"Right, when is it again?" Hanni asked.

"Tonight," Kazuha said obviously.

"Wait, like tonight tonight?" Hanni asked incredulously.

"No Hanni, I mean tomorrow tonight," Kazuha said. Hanni could practically hear the eye roll in her voice.

"I just can't believe it's already New Years, I was at your place for Christmas like two days ago" Hanni said.

"That's what happens when you disappear into some sexcapade with your not girlfriend, you lose all track of time-"

"You would know all about that, wouldn't you?" Kazuha teased.

"Got me there, Pham," Kazuha humorlessly. "Anyway, come over soon, I could use a hand setting up."

"How soon is soon?" Hanni asked. "I don't even know what I'm wearing yet."

"Soon is like, now. Don't wanna risk you disappearing with Minji and not coming back until next semester. You can borrow something."

"Fine," Hanni sighed. "I just gotta go over and remind Min about the party."

"Alright but if you're not here in a half hour I'm gonna show up there and embarrass the shit out of you," Kazuha said.