Eight

Everyone was silent.

It was a deafening silence too. Alec looked like he was about to have an aneurysm.

'I knew it' Lisa all but yelled and she was smiling.

Everyone looked at her in complete shock 'What?' I ask.

'I knew you didn't know how to dance!' she scoffs 'I watched you with Carl and you were awkward but as soon as Lucius stepped in, it was like you had been dancing your whole life, your bodies synced up and you made it look so effortless and honestly, beautiful'

'What?' I repeat. I was confused. She was happy?

Alec was not.

'This is why you agreed to this treaty?' Alec asks.

'The only reason' Lucius confirms 'You think my people would have just forgiven what you did? I knew if there was any chance of having Rae then I had no other choice but agree'

'You want to change history' I state 'I think this is a good start'

'And if she rejected you?' Alec asks.

'It wouldn't have mattered' Lucius shrugs 'You may feel heart break and a cut tether to a rejection but we do not, whether she rejected me or refused to acknowledge it, it wouldn't have changed a thing within myself'

I didn't know that. I knew that when a Mate rejects a Werewolf, it's like a piece of themselves have been torn from their body. It's physically painful and some of them don't make it. Some of them actually kill themselves over it.

This also gave me clarity in the feeling of not trusting Lucius' intentions with the pack. He still held a vendetta. 'Will you keep to the treaty?' I ask Lucius.

'Yes' he answers instantly 'A deal is a deal'

'Awe' Lisa coos. 'You agreed to keep the peace instead of fight for your people for the sake of love?'

I blink and give my sister a weird look and then look to Alec 'Is she okay?'

Alec sighs and runs a hand over his face. 'I need a drink'

'Come on, this is great news' Lisa rolls her eyes 'We've saved us another war, Rae has found her Mate and she deserves this'

'Your sister deserves a Vampire?' Alec asks.

'She deserves to be happy' Lisa snaps 'I thought we were changing things for the better and yet you sound just like Jack right now'

Alec pours himself a glass of scotch from his stash in his office and downs it before he responds 'And how does this even work? She will be happy for what, fifty years until she grows old and he doesn't?'

'Alec' Lisa snaps 'If there wasn't a way for this to work then the moon goddess wouldn't have ever given Wolves a Mate of a different species'

'Hello, right here' I hold my hand up.

'That's how you can get in here so easily' Alec says looking directly at Lucius 'It was really annoying me that you seemed to get into this place with such little effort'

'Wait, the Mate thing alters that?' I ask. It made sense and it directly answers the question of how he was able to get in here.

'Yes, his other half can not be hidden or kept from him' Alec says 'Unfortunately, it's like a rule that only applies to Vampires because Werewolves get a mind link between one another'

'I didn't even know that' Lisa says 'What will happen to her wolf?'

'That, I do not know' Alec says 'The last pair never made it past the mating, they never got to the marking'