Chapter Twenty-One: Why?

Shaina and I had been dating for a few weeks. It was the happiest I had ever been in my entire life. But it couldn't last. It was too good.

Shaina and I lay wrapped up on her couch watching 19 Kids and Counting. I never did understand this show. Who in their right mind would want 19 kids?!

"Hey you want to go to carnival?" I asked Shaina as I absentmindedly stroked her hair.

She rolled over and grinned at me. "Sure. That sounds fun. But I promised my mom I'd go see one of her patients who is freaking out over hernia surgery. Apparently it's a guy my age."

I felt a slight ping of jealousy. I frowned. "Should I be worried?"

She leaned forward and kissed me lightly. "Not at all, babe. How about I meet you there at seven?"

I grinned. "It's a date." Man, was I a lucky guy.

I hung out with the guys all day until it was time to meet Shaina.

I drove through the field until I found a parking spot. I pulled in and checked my watch 6:55.

I waited by the entrance for what seemed like forever. I kept checking and checking my watch. It was half past seven.

I felt someone tap my arm. I turned expecting to see Shaina. But I saw Alice instead, dressed in an outfit that should just be considered underwear. "Meeting someone?" She asked casually.

"Uh, I'm supposed to be meeting Shaina. She just must be late." I told her quickly wanting to end the conversation.

"Matthew," she said sounding sad, "there's something I should tell you. When I came in, I saw Shaina making out with another guy."

For a split second I was hurt but then I remembered this was the girl that tried to have Shaina assaulted. I became angry. "You're such a liar, Alice. Leave me alone."

I tried to walk away but she gabbed my arm. "If you don't believe me then you won't mind if I show you where I saw them?"

I stopped and thought. Why should I believe her...? But I nodded. Alice took my hand and dragged me away. She was talking the whole way but I just zoned her out.

Alice suddenly stopped and pointed at too figures hidden in the shadow of one of the tents.

And saw Shaina. Kissing another guy. I couldn't help but gasp. "Shaina?" I asked still shocked.

She shoved the boy away. She drug the back of her hand across her mouth. "Matthew, it's not what it looks like!"

"I have eyes, Shaina!" I screamed hurt. I felt tears forming in my eyes. I looked down quickly. "Damn it." I muttered. I just couldn't believe she would do this. I love her. I gathered my thoughts and looked back up at her. I said something I never thought I would say so soon, "We're done, Shaina." I turned and left.

I heard Shaina call my name but I kept walking.

When I got home, I followed in my dad's footsteps and drowned my emotions in liquor.

Finally you guys! A new chapter!

I'm sorry for the delay! I've been so busy with school ending and I'm California right now! Which is soooooo beautiful!!

I'm so tired so of there are any errors I am so sorry but I wanted to get this up before I fell asleep.

Hope y'all enjoyed!

Avery