Chapter Two: Look Back

I startled awake early in the morning dripping sweat. I had had another nightmare. They happen pretty often ever since my dad started hitting me. I sat up and pulled my shoes on. I shoved the mattress under Shaina's bed and climbed out the window. As I was closing the window, it slipped and slammed shut. Shaina rolled over and looked at me. I gave her a small wave and climbed back down to the grass.

I trudged back over to my house praying my dad was passed out somewhere drunk. I quietly opened the front door and saw my dad sprawled out on the couch with an empty bottle of Scotch in his hand. He was out cold.

I quickly changed into some fresh clothes, grabbed my keys and left.

I climbed into my truck and decided to head towards by buddy Jack's place.

Pulling up in front of his house, I saw my other friend, Nick's, car outside. Which, unfortunately, meant they probably got high last night and may not be in the best of moods. I decided to risk it.

I pushed open the front door and found Jack passed out on the couch cuddling a pillow and Nick sat in the chair smoking a cigarette.

"What's up, man?" he greeted.

"I needed somewhere to go until school."

"Sit down. Light up."

I pulled my cigarettes out and did just that.

Nick and I talked about stupid stuff for a while until Jack woke up muttering something about llamas.

"Jack, what's my name?" Nick yelled at him.

"Shut up, Shirley." he slurred and made his way into the kitchen bumping into things on the way.

"The hell is he on?" I asked Nick laughing.

"Something one of his chicks brought over yesterday. I have no clue what it is but man did it messed him up last night." he answered chuckling to himself.

"What'd he do?"

"He was talking to furniture and yelling at the tv and then he sat on the remote and it changed the settings so the tv was just static all night and he sat there and laughed at it for a good hour. And then he started making out with that pillow. Tongue and everything and then he passed out on the couch literally mid-sentence about llamas."

I was laughing hysterically. "Man, I wish I could've been here."

"What'd you do last night?"

I pointed to the bruise under my eye. "What do you think? Same thing I do every night. Got beat on, ran, found somewhere to stay for the night." I glanced down at my watch. "Oh I gotta get going. Hey, be sure to throw him in the shower and sober him up. I'll see y'all at school."

"Alright, later man."

I drove over to Shaina's house and knocked on the door this time. Her mom opened the door, "Matthew? I thought you were upstairs."

"I left earlier this morning and went to my friend's house."

"Well come on in." she opened the door for me and I stepped into this house. "Why don't you follow me to the kitchen and we can have a little chat, if you don't mind."

I shrugged and followed her into the kitchen.

"I'm going to assume you haven't eaten anything, yes?"

I shook my head. "No ma'am. I haven't."

"Thought so. Sit right there." she said pointing to a stool at the breakfast bar. She placed a bowl, a box of cereal, and a jug of milk in front of me. "Eat." she commanded me.