Chapter Eight: Surgery Surgery

"Alright Shaina here's what has to happen," Doctor Mike began, "you're going to have to have surgery for that hernia. But, since we gave you the pain medication and the anti-nausea medicine, you can't have the surgery today. It will be scheduled for tomorrow morning. You cannot eat anything but we'll get you nutrients and fluids through an IV. Do you have any questions?" The doctor asked her after he had finished.

She shook her head.

"Alright then we will get you a room and you'll spend the night with us and then you'll have surgery tomorrow. I'll talk to your dad to schedule that. So if you'll come with me Mr. Collins and we'll get that set up, Andi will take Shaina and her boyfriend here to the room."

I was about to correct him that I wasn't her boyfriend but he had already walked out the door with her dad.

"Shaina, I'm going to just go ahead and wheel you over in the bed and then we'll just transfer you once we get there." Andi told her. She looked to me, "Matthew right?" she asked.

I nodded, "Yes ma'am. That's me."

"You're welcome to just sit on the bed with her or you can walk beside the bed."

I looked down at her to see what she wanted. "Shaina?"

"Sit with me. Please?" she asked me quietly.

"Of course." I sat down at her feet and laid a hand on her leg.

She pushed the bed into a room. Andi pulled the covers down and I scooped Shaina from the bed and placed her on the other one. "You're good to go Shaina. Your nurse should be in shortly."

She left closing the door behind her.

I helped her get situated in bed, curled in a ball again. I sat down on the edge of the bed, "How's the pain?" I asked her brushing hair off her face gently.

"A lot better." She told me. "I can talk now without whimpering every thirty seconds. Which now I can finally say thank you. So thank you for saving me from those guys. You didn't have to do that or stay with me through all this. I mean we aren't really that close but today you treated me like I was your best friend and I can't thank you enough."

"Shaina, I want to be friends." I told her. I mean even though we hadn't talked or hung out. From the hours I had gotten to know her, I liked her. "You're a great girl and I would love to have you as a best friend."

I realized quickly I had just friend zoned her. That wasn't my intention at all.

She smiled at me, "I would like that too."

Yay. New best friend.

The door suddenly opened and her dad walked in. "Hi honey."

"Hey, Daddy." she said softly.

"You're surgery is scheduled for nine tomorrow morning. I'm going to run home and get you some comfortable clothes and your toothbrush and everything. Your mom should be up to see you soon. You going to be okay here?" he asked her.

"Yeah. I've got Matthew and Chad should be coming by to see me pretty soon. I'll be fine."

He came over and kissed her forehead. "Alright well you call me if you need anything. And you," he said gruffly, turning to me. I got nervous for a minute but all he said was, "keep an eye on my daughter."

"Yes sir. I will." I promised him.

Her dad left and Shaina's phone starting ringing in the table beside the bed. I reached over and handed it to him.

"Hello?" she said. "Hey Chaddy? What's up?" "Hang on let me ask Matthew. I honestly have no clue." She turned to me, "What room am I in?"

"Oh. Uh 408."