Chapter Thirteen: Home

I woke up an hour before Shaina. I turned on ESPN and watched the highlights from the game the night before.

Suddenly the door flew open and Chad burst in, "Goooood mooooorrrrnnnnniiiiiinnnnnggg!" he sang.

Shaina just groaned and held me tighter.

"Oooohhhhh! What is going on here?!" Chad exclaimed standing at the foot of the bed giving us a pointed look.

Shaina open her eyes and sprung away from me. I chuckled and folded my arms behind my head. She groaned clutching her stomach.

I clambered off the bed. "You alright there, Shaina?"

"Yup." She gritted. "Just peachy. What are you doing here, Chad?"

"I heard you're getting out of the hospital today so I brought you," he stepped into the hallway and re-entered with a giant polka dot elephant. You know, like the one from Rudolph, except bigger. "this!"

Shaina squealed and reached for the stuffed animal. "Gimme gimme!"

Chad laughed and handed it to her. "Come here, Chaddy!"

Shaina gave him a hug and he planted a kiss on her cheek.

"I need to get to school. But I'll be over later and we'll watch Mean Girls and pig out. If you feel like it of course." he added.

"That sounds wonderful." She said smiling. "Just forget about all this shit."

He kissed her forehead. "Alright, I'll see you later then, Baby Doll."

"You ready to go home?" I asked her as I sat down at the foot of her bed.

"Oh absolutely. I'm so over this."

I chuckled. I'm sure she's "so over" being treated like a princess, everything at her beck and call.

There was a knock at the door. "Shaina?"

"Come in!" She hollered.

The day nurse, Tom, came in. "How are you feeling this morning?"

"So much better." She said happily.

"Good good. Pain?"

"None." She grinned. I was relieved.

"Alright." he responded happily. "The doctor should be in shortly to check your progress but you should be good to go home today."

"I just want to get out of here." She groaned. "I'm so over it!"

I laughed. "I know, Sweet Pea. I know."

"Good morning, Shaina." Doctor Stephen greeted as he entered the room.

"Morning, Doctor Stephen."

"How are you doing?"

"Oh so much better. I have no pain. And I haven't thrown up since I got out of surgery."

"That's all good. And there is no swelling?"

She frowned in thought. "I don't think so."

"Do you mind if I look?"

Shaina shook her head. "Not at all."

He came to the best side and lifted her shirt. I turned and stared at the wall. "Looks fine. No swelling. No discoloration. Great." He moved back to stand at the foot of her bed and I turned back around. "Alright. Good news. We're going to release you today. We're going to release you in the capable custody of your boyfriend here since he is of legal age." I've given up on correcting people. "Now here are the release orders. We're going to give you a pain killer because after the ones we gave you wear off you're going to be in some pain. You need to take two pills every four hours. You need to not move around a lot. Just settle on the couch or in your bed and stay there. And if there is any uncomfortable pain the pills won't help or she starts vomiting again, bring her in immediately. You won't be able to really do anything for about three days. And you're cleared to go back to school next week. But just play it by ear. If you're still sore when you stand. Stay home an extra day. And no physical activity for four months. I'll be in contact with your mom for your follow up appointments soon. Okay?"

I nodded. "Yes sir. She's in good hands."

"So I trust." He extended his hand to me.

I shook his hand. "Thank you."

"Thank you, Doctor Stephen!"

"Alright. You get to feeling better now."

Shaina laughed. It was so beautiful. "I will."

"A nurse should be in shortly to take you down. You should start gathering your stuff." And with that he left.

I clapped my hands. "Alright. Let's get packing." I grabbed her bag that was at the foot of the bed and put the clothes she had in it. "Anything else?"

"My hair brush and tooth brush are in the bathroom."

I grabbed them and put them in the bag.

Then a nurse came in pushing a wheelchair. "Hello, Shaina." she greeted cheerfully. "I'm Mandy. I'll be your discharge nurse. Did the doctor go over all of your discharge orders?"

Shaina nodded.

"Alright. Well here are the pain killers." she handed a small paper bag to me. "She needs to start those at about noon today. And she'll take them until they run out." I nodded and stuffed the bag inside her duffel bag.

"You ready to go home?" she asked Shaina. Shaina smiled and nodded vigorously. "Then we'll get you there. Young man, if you would help me get her into the wheelchair."

I threw her duffel over my shoulder. "Come here, Shaina."

She tossed the covers off her body. I slipped an arm under her knees and She wrapped her arm around my neck. I lifted her carefully from the bed and placed her in the wheeled chair. "You hold the elephant." I commanded placing the stuffed animal in her lap. She hugged it tightly to her.

The nurse wheeled her through the hallways and out to my truck.

I helped sat her in the passenger seat then climbed in the driver's seat. I looked over at her and grinned. "Home bound."

She laughed. "Let's go!" she exclaimed.

I revved the truck and we were off.

I carried her through the front door and set her on the couch. "Welcome home, Sweet Pea."

She sighed and melted into the couch, "Home sweet home."

"Let me get your stuff out of the car and then we'll get you situated."

I left and returned with her duffel bag and elephant. I dumped the bag on the couch and handed her the giant elephant. "Alright. What can I get to make you comfy?"

"Can you go up to my bedroom, I assume you know where it is, and get my fuzzy blue pillow off my bed and the super soft checkered blanket that should be folded up at the foot of my bed?" She asked.

"Sure thing." I ran upstairs in search of her room.

I hope you guys enjoy this chapter and next chapter you get. Matthew's entire story! Grab a box of tissues!

Enjoy!

Avery