Chapter 4: The Promise

"Stop following me!" Zelda shrieked.

Faron blinked. Being the Princess' sworn guardian was proving harder than she thought, and not at all for the reasons she thought it would.

"Princess—"

"No!" Zelda cut her off, "Tell my Father I am not in need of protection! With any luck, he'll hear it better from you than he does from me."

"I doubt that," Faron said, her face hardly betraying her skepticism.

"Your doubts are not my concern," Zelda snapped back, "I can take care of myself."

"Princess—" Faron tried again.

"No! How many times must I say it?!" Zelda raged, "I. Don't. Need. Your. Protection!"

Faron relented, hoping her silence might assuage the angry Princess.

If I must become a mute in order to carry out my duties, so be it.

Zelda had turned her attention back to the inoperable terminal she had been studying, waving about the odd slate in her hands in an almost laughable manner. When she looked behind her to ascertain whether or not Faron had followed her orders, her face twisted in anger once more.

"Didn't you hear me?! I said—"

"All due respect, Princess," Faron interrupted, "But I'm here of my own will. If you want me to leave, you'll have to physically remove me."

Zelda seemed slightly taken aback by the issued challenge, her voice momentarily failing her.

Then, with an averted gaze and subdued tone, she asked, "Why...is this so important to you?"

Faron's eyes settled on the terminal behind Zelda, and after a moment, the Princess seemed to grasp her meaning.

"Oh...that. Well, that's important because—"

The royal's green eyes narrowed, dismay written across her face.

She tried again, "Because—"

"Princess Zelda!"

A vaguely familiar voice called from their right, turning both heads in its direction. The Zora Champion was approaching rapidly, her red corium reflecting the sun's rays strongly. Faron felt a twinge of uncertainty at the sight of her, recalling the events of her trial with the Master Sword.

I can't say for sure, but I could've sworn I felt her healing power in that moment. It's only a suspicion, of course, and she hardly has any reason to help me, so I don't have much cause to ask her about it. No...it'd be better that I wait and watch her closely.

"A scout told me you were wandering the highlands with your guard, but when you didn't come to call on me, I couldn't help myself—"

"It's all right, Mipha," Zelda assured her, "I should've informed you of my presence here, but I had hoped this little excursion of mine might ultimately escape my father's attention. Of course," she added, eyeing Faron pointedly with her hands on her hips, "My personal Champion has soundly ruined that plan."

Faron frowned but said nothing.

"Oh, don't blame Faron, Princess. She's only doing her duty."

Faron narrowed her eyes fractionally.

Why defend me? I'm near a total stranger to her. If the Princess has any quarrel with me, why should she care?

Zelda laughed gently, "You're so kind, Mipha. Shall we make our way to the Domain?"

Mipha nodded, her eyes landing on the inactive terminal.

"Have you made any progress?"

Zelda hung her head, "No."