01

Away

One more summer.

One more summer before I would be an adult, in college and moved out. This was my last summer before I entered my senior year, then I'd be free to live how I wanted, for once.

As I got off the plane I saw my grandparents waiting there for me, I went over and greeted them.

"Hi grandma, Hi grandpa!" I smiled, trying to sound optimistic to be there. My mother had surprised me with a nice trip to her home village on an island in Hawaii for the summer. Not for very enjoyable reasons though. She had sent me away so I could focus on my studies. Despite my grades being not too bad, she believes there's "always room for improvement."

"Hello, Dear." My grandma said smiling, she was a sweet lady who wasn't actually that old yet. Maybe early sixties. My mom had me in her early twenties, and so my grandma wasn't that much of a grandma. She had short, dark green hair, that was mixed with a few gray strands.

My Grandpa just smiled and waved, with his one arm. My mom told me that when he was young, he lost his arm in an accident. My grandpa had faded red hair and a few scars. He looked kinda scary, but was a funny old man. 

My grandparents were named Shanks and Makino. I didn't know them very well since they lived so remotely. I hoped I'd find lots of time to spend with them mixed with the studying.

"Come on, let's get going!" My grandpa said enthusiastically, he jingled the keys to his car and I followed them to the car. It wasn't a super long car ride to the village, but it felt like in eternity. I tried not to sulk too much, but I don't think someone could really blame me. I would much rather be having my super pretty and aesthetic summer on the beach rather than, I don't know, reading textbooks? Doing worksheets?

As we arrived to the small house near the shore, I entered the house and hesitantly spoke.

"Should I start studying now or..?"

My grandparents exchanged glances before my grandpa chuckled. 

"Nah, go explore. You really should learn about where you're from." He lowered his voice before adding, "You still have to study a littttle bit but the main reason we gladly accepted your mother's request of your stay was for you to experience the beauty of the island. You don't see things like it back in the city." He grinned.

"Really? Wow, thanks guys." My eyes lit up and I smiled.

"Go run around, come back around 5 for dinner." My grandma smiled back.

"First uh, where should I put my stuff?" I glanced down at my suitcase. 

"Oh! Oops uh...teehee forgot about that sorry." My grandpa chuckled before leading me to a small, but cozy room down the hall. I set my luggage down before thanking both of them, slipping my shoes on, and leaving the house to explore.

It was a fairly small village, I'd guess a hundred or maybe two hundred people at most. I wandered down the streets, there were little shops, after exploring a bit I made my way down to the beach. As I walked over, I saw a boy run by. He had dark black hair and a straw hat. I watched him and two other boys run by. I wouldn't lie, the boy was cute. I'd probably see him around.