06

Cookies

Recap:

"What's it like being in love?"

I stare at him with a blank, surprised look for a moment.

"I'm not sure, it's er, nice?" I paused again as I went a bit red. "Well...when you love someone you- really like them? And you wanna be with them all the time, and you start to notice all these little things about them and stuff. It's kinda something you have to experience to understand." I rubbed the back of my neck. He nodded.

"So have you ever been in love?" Luffy asked curiously.

"Maybe, maybe not." I smiled at him. 

"Maybe?" He looked puzzled.

"It's complicated, sometimes you think you're in love, but that's just not the case." I tried to explain, he just nodded.

"How do you know if you're in love with someone?" 

"You'll know when it happens, it's pretty hard to mistake for something else eventually."

The front door opened. 

"Mistake what?" My grandpa asked from behind us. I jolted up in surprise as I turned to see him with  grin plastered on his face. Luffy jumped up in a heartbeat.

"Shanks!" He cheered as he jumped onto my grandpa. They seemed close.

"It seems like you two have been getting along well." Shanks smirked as he looked from Luffy, to me. I rolled my eyes.

"Luffy is pleasant to be around. That's all." I sighed.

"Y/N is super duper cool. I didn't know you could pass on any good genes." Luffy stuck his tongue out at Shanks. 

"Hey, back in the day I was quite the charming fellow." My grandpa winked.

"Clearly, I don't know how else you pulled Makino." Luffy grinned. I giggled from the steps.

"Did I hear my name?" My grandma called from inside. "Is that Luffy? Want cookies?"

Luffy was about to run inside but he looked back at me first. 

"Come on, let's go." He smiled. I stood up from the step as I followed him inside. My grandpa behind us, closing the front door. Makino stood in the kitchen with a pan of cookies that smelled super duper good. Luffy practically sprinted to grab one.

"Mffank youh" He tried saying as he ate. My grandma smiled and chuckles.

"Don't talk with food in your mouth, kid." Shanks hit him lightly on the back. Luffy rolled his eyes.

"Y/N, tomorrow is Aloha day, which is a festival to showcase the islands heritage and culture. Me and your grandpa will be out, would you like to come along?"  Makino smiled at me warmly. My face lit up a bit, a festival sounded fun!

"Yes please!" I smiled.

"Here, come with me sweetie I need to see if any of my dresses fit you..." She took off her oven mitts and walked down the hall, I followed behind her.