05

The beach

recap:

I felt kinda bad for leaving Nami's party but to be honest, this felt like a better way to spend the night.

We walked down to the beach and sat in the sand, Koby skipped a rock against the water. It was around 8:00 and the sun was still up, but it was descending ever so slightly.

"So, Y/N how have you been liking the island?" Koby looked up from the water as he asked politely.

"It's been good, great actually. I prefer this over the big city and all the cars and fumes and stuff." It was true, the city was overwhelming.

"I'm glad you like the island." Koby said as he smiled.

"I'm glad you're here, you're cool." Luffy grinned as we locked eyes, I forced an awkward chuckle as I quickly looked down.

"Y-uh you're cool- too." I sheepishly and quickly mumbled, Koby looked up from the rocks he was skipping and glanced at me, then Luffy, In a way that looked like he was asking himself a question.

There was a silence for a minute or two, not exactly an awkward one, just a calm one. Me and Luffy both broke the silence at the same time.

"So what-"

"Did y-" 

Me and Luffy both blurted at once, we looked at each other and laughed. Koby just glanced at us with a gentle smile. He mumbled something before shaking his head and looking back at the water.

"Koby?" A voice behind us called, I quickly turned around to see Helmeppo standing with his hands on his hips behind us.

"Helmeppo? What are you doing here?" Koby asked, not in a rude way, there was a curious tone in his voice.

 "I couldn't find you at the party, so I came to look for you" Helmeppo looked down, at the sand he seemed more calm, gentler than before. 

Koby looked at both me and Luffy, "I kinda did leave- sorry, you wanna go hang out at my house? We can play on my Nintendo?" Koby stood up and brushed the sand off of himself.

Helmeppo's expression brightened. 

"Sure!" He smiled before looking down at the sand, seeing me and Luffy. He looked away after locking eyes with me, seeming a bit ashamed. Behind all of the cockiness in him, I could tell he was a good guy.

"Have fun you two." I quietly said before turning my head back to the water.

Helmeppo opened his mouth to say something before stopping and turning around, saying something to Koby before they walked away. Luffy glanced over at me.

"You're so awesome, I want to get to know you." Luffy abruptly said as he grinned at me.

"Uh- you could ask me questions? I don't mind..." I blushed a bit as I looked down.

"Do you have a boyfriend?"

My eyes widened, that was the first question he asks?