The Thanksgiving Dinner

The two weeks leading up to Thanksgiving flew by like a jet airplane, and before he knew it, Finnick's services were required.

Katniss was parked outside his apartment complex just like before, and this time he was sure to be ready an hour early, lest he be berated by the fiery brunette again.

He trotted out to her car almost as soon as she pulled up, and as he opened the door and got inside, she was unable to hide her surprise.

"Finally learn your lesson?" She asked, pulling out into the road.

Finnick clicked his seatbelt. "Like you wouldn't believe."

And they were off.

~*~

They got to dinner on time, and things went just as well as before, if not better.

Her best friend Gale and his family joined them for the occasion, but Finnick didn't seem bothered by the extra company in the least.

They laughed and ate and talked and gorged their stomachs, and an hour later they found themselves sitting in the family room, huddled around the couches and on the recliners and by the coffee table, eating pumpkin pie and watching Charlie Brown's Thanksgiving.

Haymitch laughed at something Finnick said, Rory and Prim ate their pie while giggling at the television, and Katniss smiled genuinely at the scene around her. It had been a really long time since she'd seen everyone this happy.

"So, Katniss," her mother called from the opposite couch, drawing her attention away from the tv. "How exactly did you and Finnick meet?" She asked, taking a bite of her pie.

Katniss tensed up beside Finnick, squeezing the hand she was unwillingly holding in distress. He picked up immediately, and dove in like the false gentleman he was to save her.

"We met at The Hob," he smiled. "It was my first day and she was showing me the ropes. I thought she was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever laid eyes on."

He paused to gaze at her affectionately, and the entire room practically sighed.

"Aww, so beautiful," Hazelle said, bringing a hand to her chest.

"Yeah. You guys are like star-crossed lovers," Gale agreed, and Finnick didn't miss the tightness in the boy's smile as he made the comment.

"Yep. We are, aren't we? Haha!"

Finnick reached over and grabbed hold of Katniss' thigh as he laughed, and she laughed uneasily with him as she darted a hand out to stop his movements.

Finnick smirked as Gale looked away from the sight.

~*~

After the Hawthornes left, Katniss and Finnick made their departure shortly after.

They hugged and said their goodbyes, and tried not to slip on the icy pavement as they made their way to Katniss' car.

They hopped inside and Katniss started the engine, and Finnick smiled happily as he put on his seatbelt and adjusted his gloves.

"You were pretty good back there, you know," he said, rubbing his hands together. "Your acting skills are improving."

"You weren't so bad yourself," she replied, pulling out into the street.

They drove in silence for a while, paying attention to the road and staring boredly out the window like humans are so apt to do, before Katniss spoke again.

"...You didn't have to lie to them, you know."

Finnick looked at her. "I'm sorry?"

"About how we met," she clarified, making a right turn. "You didn't have to lie to them like that."

He looked at the dashboard, brows furrowed as he thought back to the moment she was referring to.

"...I didn't," he said finally, and she looked to him, eyes wide with disbelief.

"I- you didn't?" She asked, as though she expected him to correct himself.

He shook his head. "Nope."

She blinked rapidly, refocusing her attention on the road, and Finnick gazed out his fogged window, looking at the passing houses and snowmen and Christmas decorations as they drove down the street.

"...You know," he said after a while. "This whole thing we've got going here is just one big lie, so I don't know why you're worrying about what I said back there."

Katniss kept silent, and neither said anything more.

They didn't speak for the rest of the ride home.