The Black Friday Craze

The day after Thanksgiving was a nightmare.

Black Friday was nothing short of a mess, and Katniss had to work a double-shift. She quickly ran through the store and back to the storage room, looking through the rows of goods for the electronic tablets that were going on sale in ten minutes.

Surprisingly enough, it was Clove who had called off, and not Finnick. Though that still didn't mean much. Finnick never did usually call off on big holidays or major events, he just didn't show up. She wondered at how he hadn't gotten himself fired with his insubordination, but she suspected the reason being was that he was smitten with their manager - their female manager - and she fancied him.

The old cougar was probably on the phone with him right now, planning a meeting spot where they could-

"Hey, Katniss."

Katniss whirled around, hands full of iPad boxes, resentful thoughts abruptly cut off by the sight of the very person she was mentally bashing.

Finnick Odair.

She blinked repeatedly, unsure if the stress she was currently undergoing was causing hallucinations or not.

"U-uh, hi...Finnick," she said uncertainly, and he stepped closer.

"Here," he said, taking a box from her. "Let me handle that."

"Um...thanks," she replied, and he walked back out into the store.

Her feet moved automatically, pace increasing to catch up with him.

"What are you doing here?" She asked, trying to sound accusing rather than curious.

Finnick glanced briefly over his shoulder to see if she was following, but didn't slow down.

"Well, you know. It's a big day, and I didn't really have anything else to do, so-"

"You mean you didn't have any one to do?" She snorted, missing the way his jaw tightened at her words.

"So, I decided to help you," he finished, ignoring her outburst.

He passed a pair of fighting shoppers and dodged a runaway cart.

"God knows you could use it..." he muttered.

"What did you just say?" she called from behind him.

He quickened his pace. "Nothing!"

~*~

After a grueling six hours of handling coupons, refunds, angry customers, and vicious crowds, Katniss Everdeen was spent.

She sat in the break room, tired and worn out from staying up so early. She rested her head on the table to try and doze off, but was interrupted when Finnick walked through the door.

"So this is where you've been hiding," he mused, though she didn't bother looking up at him.

He walked over and sat down next to her, and though under normal circumstances she would have protested, she was simply too tired to move away.

"Why did you come here?" She sighed sleepily, voice bordering on a pout.

Finnick shifted beside her, resting an elbow on the table as he began to play with the stray strands of her braid, knowing she was too tired to swat him away.

"Well, this is the break room," he said as he fingered her hair, and she raised a tired hand to wave him off.

"You know what I mean," she mumbled into the table. "I mean why did you show up in the first place? You never come in on busy days..."

Pausing in his motions, Finnick swallowed, and for the first time in years, he was unsure of what to say.

"Uh...well, you know. We've had our differences and whatnot, but...well, I mean I know how hard you work, and...and I just wanted to-"

Suddenly she sat up, causing his hand to fall away as she stared at him, brows furrowed.

"Wait," she said, cutting him off. "Are you trying to say that you showed up today...because you wanted to help me?"

She stared at him as though she were seeing him in a whole new light, and Finnick smiled nervously, searching for a way out of the suddenly uncomfortable situation.

He scoffed. "Come on, Katniss. After last night? I practically owed it to you."

He reached up and flipped her braid, and just like that, the moment was gone.

Katniss got up from her spot and announced she was leaving, braid flopping messily around her as she went, and Finnick watched her go.

As much as he hated to admit it, he couldn't help but feel as though he had just ruined a perfectly good moment.