5.1 freedom doesn't mean forever

TW: Multiple displays of child mistreatment,(idk what you would call it neglect or smth, but I don't want to cause any discomfort for readers so I wanted to put a warning), abuse (child and adult (hinted at least), cursing. LMK if I forgot any

I want to write less angsty fics but I never have any good ideas so feel free to drop them in the comments.

Anyway, this one I actually seen a comment "i wonder if onyx's dad locked him in the bathroom as punishment" and well... here we are.

*100

"Onyx?" his mother snapped the boy out of his thoughts, "i thought you had after school study today? what are you doing home?" she asked eyes trailing behind her every few seconds.

“i forgot my study material at home so I decided to skip for today” the small for his age seven year old replied toeing off his shoes.

“well...your dad's gonna be back any minute and you know how he is when you skip study. why didn't you got to Keane's?” the fair haired woman asked, wiping her hands in her apron. she was preparing dinner before she heard the door.

“he left early for his dentist appointment remember?” he reminded his mother “im gonna study upstairs, he can't be mad at that” the blond shrugged grabbing his bag and heading towards the stairs.

“well just be quick about it cause, when he comes home he'll-” she was cut off by the sound of the front door opening.

“Orla I hope that dinner is ready cause I swear I'm on my last straw with everyone in that god-damn workplace-” the door slammed behind him as he walked in and he stopped when his eyes fell on the pair talking at the stairs.

“why the fuck are you not in after-school study?” he seethed at the kid who stood at the third step like a deer caught in headlights.

“i-”

“his teacher told him to head home for today, since he forgot his books” his mum jumped in, fidgeting with the tea towel in her hands, dinner long forgotten about.

“what an ignorant little brat” the brunettes attention was on Onyx and onyx alone, his mum long forgotten about in his mind. “you have everything handed to you on a silver platter, and yet you still find a way to mess everything up”

Onyx flinched where he stood and the older man stomped his way over. “do you know how much money is going towards giving you a better chance at a proper future?” he hissed in the kids face, “i worked hard my whole life to get where I am today, and you can't even remember to take a fucking book to school? how dense do you need to be?”

“da-ad I'm sorry” the seven year old hiccupped as the man in question roughly grabbed the collar of his shirt. tears were gathered in the younger's eyes, which he refused to let fall as he knew it would make things worse.

“william, please stop” Orla begged, she outgrew the tears too, cause that's just the way it was.

“over and over again the same stupid mistakes, when will you get it through that thick skull of yours?!” a tear slipped down Onyx's face.

“and enough with the fucking tears, god am I raising a fucking girl?!” he spat as he said it.

“s-sorry” onyx breathed out, all he could manage with holding back the sob that begged to escape.

“not enough, not fucking near enough, you need to be taught a fucking lesson” William huffed dragging his son behind him.

Onyx tried wiggling and digging his heels into the carpet, but in his stocking feet it was no use.

no he thought to himself please no it's been so long. The last time he'd been here had been months ago when his mum tried organising for Keane's mum to take the pair out of school for Keane's birthday without William finding out.

“da-ad p-please I'm s-sorry, it was an a-accident” his pleas fell on deaf ears while his dad continued dragging him by the collar of his shirt.

“William this is unnecessary” Orla called out, “its not his fault”

“then who's fault is it Orla?!” William shouted, shoving onyx into the bathroom and slamming the door shut, not forgetting to lock the door after him.

as soon as the door closed, Onyx sank to the floor and bit his fist as the tears began to burst out. he could hear the muffled voices of his parents fighting but couldn't understand what they were saying, not that he wanted to.

he still remembers the first time he got lock in the bathroom. he had just turned five and accidentally wet himself on the walk home from the park with his mum, since there were no available bathrooms and his dad thought peeing outside was a disgrace. he hadn't been able to make it to the toilet.

William in very William fashion, thought it would be best to punish the kid for this accident and lock him in the bathroom with nothing but himself for a few hours. and from then on it became his go to punishment.

Onyx tried to calm himself down by looking around, but when you know where everything is with your eyes closed, and hate the surroundings especially under the circumstances, it's even harder.

he finally calmed down some time later, not sure how long he'd been here. he went to the sink to wash his face, one of the things his mum told him to do to get through the time and it made him feel better to splash the cold water on his tear stained face. washing off the tear stains so his dad wouldn't see them was just a bonus.

after he'd dried his face he tried the door handle, not loud enough to alert his dad, but loud enough so his mum would remember (incase she had forgotten) he was still locked in here.

he pressed his ear against the door to try heat what was going on, but they must be in the kitchen as he couldn't hear anything.

thinking of the kitchen got him realising he was still hungry. Initially he was just gonna go to study and borrow someone's book, but having also forgotten his lunch this morning had him opting to head home instead. he should've just stayed.

a shout of “i don't care I'm going out” followed by a door slam woke him from his thoughts, a few second later the door opened.

“sorry it took so long he wanted dinner before going for drinks with his coworkers, now let's get you some food, yeah?”

----

I'm sorry if this hits close to home for any of you guys, my DMS are open if you need to talk.

1100 words

anyway if you have any fic ideas leave them here --->

also as soon as we get a name for him I'll be changing these. and his mum.

---

OMG SORRY ABOUT THE NO UPDATE FOR AGES GUYS I JUST GOT SUPER BUSY AND FORGOT I HAD THIS STORY TO BE PUBLISHED. ANYWAY SORRY ABOUT THE LATE UPDATE AND HOPEFULLY I DONT LOSE YOU GUYS COS OF IT

also happy (late) Christmas to everyone who celebrates it