Chapter 17

A/N: This is your warning, this chapter is a bit dark and contains some of the heavier warnings as mentioned in the summary for this book, take care when reading <3

A/N: mentions school shooting & gore

"Nolan, just breathe..." Hikari said in a soft voice, her eyes darting between the frightened boy and the door. His panicked breathing was sure to draw attention to them if he didn't calm down.

Nolan had his knees to his chest as he tried to focus on steadying his breathing, remembering what Brett used to tell him. He began using paced breathing, it always helped him calm down.

Before he had the chance the door swung open and a hunter approached them, Hikari took her place in front of the scared boy. "Nolan, stay behind me," she said softly placing her arm in front of him.

Nolan's lip trembled as he looked up at the hunter, his eyes darting between the man and the woman he barely knew. Could he really trust her? He didn't even know her.

"Move bitch," the hunter said, aiming his crossbow at her. Her eyes glowed in warning and she stared him down, raising to her feet a orange aura appeared behind her in the form of a fox.

The man shot his crossbow at her only for the fire surrounding her to burn it, "nice try," she said pulling the sword from behind her and slashing the man clean in half. Nolan turned his face, the blood swimming over to him.

"Get up," she said taking his hand and leading them inside one of the cubicles, her finger pressed against his trembling lips. "Thank you," he whispered once she moved her finger, she nodded back.

Nolan didn't realise what was going on but he knew it wasn't about to be good, the hunters were here and things were about to get bad. "We need to help my friends..." Nolan whispered.

In the other room was Liam and Alec, both leaning against a desk. "Are you sure it's the hunters and not an actual shooter?" the beta asked, worry dancing through his eyes as he stared at his alpha.

Liam nodded, "trust me, it's them..." Liam said, pushing the vision of Hayden's dead body out of his mind. He couldn't think about that right now, not when he had a job to do, protect Beacon Hills High and the people inside of it.

Before Alec could reply to Liam, a croaky voice over the PA system made an announcement. "Will Liam Dunbar please report to the principal's office," the alpha's eyes glowed red for a moment.

Alec grabbed Liam's arm, "please don't go, it's a trap," he said with pleading eyes. Liam looked towards the door before turning back to Alec, "Liam," Alec said drawing the alpha's attention back to him.

"I have to," Liam said, taking Alec's hands in his he nodded. "I'll be okay, you're strong Alec. You're strong and you'll be okay," he said. Before Alec could even reply the speaker turned back on, sending shivers down his spine.

"Liam Dunbar, we have something for you... Please come to the principal's office," the man's voice spoke, not just any man's voice. Liam knew that foul voice from a mile away, it never failed to send his anger into overdrive.

Gerard.

"I'll be okay, please just stay here," Liam said giving his beta a reassuring glance, "you'll be okay just stay here, I need to see what he wants," Liam added, releasing his grip on Alec's hands.

Walking towards the door he twisted the handle and pushed it open, shutting it immediately behind him he walked out. He turned his head and saw a hunter approaching him, gun in hand.

"Liam," the man said walking towards him, 'come with me." Usually Liam would fight back, he would say something, but he didn't know what was at stake and he couldn't take any chances.