Chapter 5 - the opening ceremony

A few hours later, I'm dressed in one of the most beautiful leather outfit I've ever seen. I'm dressed in a simple unitard that covers me ankle to neck, probably to protect my skin. Me and peeta's outfits are almost identical with our long fluttering capes made up of streams of orange, yellow and fiery reds that define our costumes. Cinna lights them on fire just as our chariot rolls into the streets.

"It's not real flame, of course, just a little synthetic fire Portia and I came up with. You'll be perfectly safe," he says and I try my best to convince myself that I won't be burnt to a crisp by the time we reach the city centre.

My face is relatively clear of makeup besides from the odd couple of highlights across my face. Cinna has put my hair into an elaborate half bun, half braid and I wish I could wear it forever. I glance over at Peeta, who's making his way over to the chariot. He should know a thing or two about fire, considering he's the bakers son.

Everyone is absolutely giddy over the excitement our costumes will cause. Expect from Cinna, who looks a bit weary as he accepts congratulations. Cinna and Peeta's stylist arrange our capes and our body positions before moving away to consult with each other.

"What do you think?" I whisper to Peeta. "About the fire and all?"

"I'll rip your cape if you rip of mine." He says through gritted teeth.

"Deal." I say. Im not sure what else to say let my gaze focus on the other chariot in front of me. It's district 11's chariot and they've already set off into the heart of the capitol. Both rue and thresh wear matching clothes. Thresh wears a simple blue shirt with denim overalls but Rue wears a glimmering blue dress, denim overalls and a polished crown that resembles wheat. She glances back at me and I give a small wave as she sets off.

Just as they disappear from view Cinna appears with a lighted torch. "Here we go then," he says and before we can react he sets our capes on fire. I gasp, waiting for any pain or discomfort but all I can feel is a faint tickling sensation. Cinna let's out a sigh of relief. "It works."

"Remember, heads high! Smiles. They're going to love you!"

Cinna jumps off the chariot and he has one last idea but it's drowned out by the music. "What's he saying?" Peeta asks who I realise is sparkling because of the flames

"I think he's saying for us to hold hands." I guess as Peeta takes my hand into his and we're already heading into the capitol. I squeeze Peeta's hand in half excitement, half I wasn't expecting this many people.

The crowds initial alarm at our appearances turn into excitement as me and Peeta start to wave to the audience. Remember, heads high! Smiles. They're going to love you I hear Cinna's voice in my head as my mouth spreads into one of the biggest smiles I've ever smiled.

I'm glad to have Peeta with me as my legs feel weightless as I wave to everyone. I even manage blow a few kisses into the crowd! The people are going nuts, showering us with an assortment of Beautiful flowers and taking the time to find out our names from the program to shout them.

The pounding music, the cheering crowds and the flowers all give me a flicker of hope that maybe I'll get a couple of sponsors from somewhere in this rowdy crowd. I can't even begin to imagine how much money these people have and I can't even begin to imagine how their everyday lives are.

It's not that until we've entered the city centre that I've realised I've probably cut the circulation in Peeta's with how hard i have been squeezing it. I loosen my grasp on his hand but I don't dare to let go, out of fear of falling out of this thing.

All twelve chariots fill the loop of the city circle. In the building surrounding us, some of the most prestigious citizens are watching on at us through their candy-like windows.

Our horses come to a stop at the presidents mansion. The president gives an official welcome speech from his balcony. It's traditional to cut away to the tributes face's during the speech but I can see on the nearby screens that were getting more than our allowed share of screen time.

The cameras circle around the tributes as we loop one final time around the mansion but the cameras linger a bit on our chariot as we enter the training centre, our new home for the foreseeable future.

"Thanks for letting me hold onto you," I say whilst massaging my stiff fingers. "It's no problem, primrose."

"You can call me Prim if you'd like."

"Okay prim" Peeta echos whilst also massaging his hand. "You should wear flames more often, you looked really nice." Peeta compliments and suddenly I'm reminded that we're not in some fancy game-show. We're in a murder game and only one of us can come out alive and I feel a black hole sized pit in my stomach as I thank him.