Thirty-Seven

"Master." I come to my knees. 

"I'm glad you didn't fail me. And you brought some guests." He stands up.

He moves his claws around my shoulders.

"You're Lucifer?" Karou asks.

He turns.

"The one and only." He smirks.

He lifts my chin up. I stand up.

"You've done well." He says.

I nod.

"Why did you do this to him?!" Karou yells.

"I didn't. The Hellhound did." He says.

I turn back to them.

"Kenshin! Snap out of this!" Karou yells.

"Kenshin!" Megumi yells.

I turn away. Instincts are driving me to this. This is my path. I'm drawn to the Devil both in blood and soul and mind. Am I just a Hellhound? I grip my fists. Karou... her words are like bullets that actually penetrate the fire. I reach my hand in the wound, and I grimace as a take the bullet out. It burns. I slowly drop it. 

"I have to give you balls girl." He lifts Karou up.

I turn.

"You actually think you can reason with a Hellhound." He licks the side of her face.

"Please Kenshin!" She cries.

This is going to get ugly. Karou... she's my friend. I swore to her I wouldn't be this man again. The man who once welled the most powerful sword. I grip my fists. This isn't me. I'm not a killsword nor should I be no Hellhound. I grab the Devil's hand. He turned to me in surprise. I let out a growl. The fire ignites and I push him back. I grab Karou.

"Kenshin!" She yells and presses her face into mine.

She grips my head. This is surprising. I've never been kissed before. Megumi lets out a small chuckle. I wrap my arms around her. Wow. I never realized I had these feelings for her. I draw back.

"You would care for a monster?" I ask.

She grips my head. I look at her.

"Kenshin, you are no monster." She smiles.