Eighteen

I wake up slowly on the tree stump. The sun was pounding down on me. I turn and see a dismembered limb body. I sit up in a startle. I pant and I breathe hard. I'm covered in ash and blood. I see the creatures bowing their heads. They look up.

"Good morning, master." One says.

"Who are you?!" I yell.

"We are Reapers. Your humble servants, we are at your command." The second says.

What are they saying? These couple of days have been nothing but confusion for me. How am I their master? What am I? One hands over a rice bowl. I hate to admit it, but I'm kind of starving. I haven't eaten much in days.

"You should eat master."

I nod. I take the rice bowl and start eating with my hands.

"It's not really a filling meal for your kind." The second says.

The first one glares at the second one. I look up.

"My kind?" I ask.

"You don't know what you are?" The first one cocks his head.

"The beast lies dormant." The second says.

"Why do you guys keep appearing out of nowhere?" I ask.

"We exist to serve you. You have to be protected at all costs." The first says.

"Why?" I hiss.

"If you do not know already, it will be hard to explain it to you." The second says.

"So do it!" I yell.

An arrow shoots pasts me. It hits one Reaper. It screeches and explodes into dust. My eyes widen. I turn. The other one stands up.

"Run master!" He yells.

I nod. I jump off of the tree and I dash through the woods. I'm running fast. I'm running really fast. I've never ran this fast in my life. Then a chain wraps around my neck. I get thrown back. I look and I see a cloaked man with a white mask.

"The hunt can at last be over." He says.

Then he punches me hard and everything goes black.