Chapter 14: Endgame Part 1: Reflection

{Kion's POV}
I ran to the Mountain Pass and found Cheka there again.
Fuli sighs "Here we go again."
"Fuli, Azaad!" I yelled, getting their attention "The dust cloud!"
I knew it wouldn't work again. But I had a plan, I'm not to confident in it, but I think it will work. Cheka ran and sniped Fuli, throwing her to a rock wall, causing a rockslide. Fuli was lucky because the rocks formed a small cave over her, she couldn't get out but she was okay. Azaad ran over to her and began trying to clear the rocks with Fuli telling him which rocks to move. I gave Surak the order and Surak tackled Cheka. Everyone else moved in and fought the other lions. Just like before, Surak was giving Cheka a hard time but he was more aggressive than last time.
"Why do you fight me?" Cheka struggled
"You come here in an act of war, and you ask why I defend my home?!" Surak yelled
"They took something from you, didn't they?" Cheka asked "The Pridelands?"
"How do you know that?" Surak asked
"I've been traveling for a while." Cheka answered "I know someone you would do anything to see again. I know where your son is."
"M-my son?" Surak asked
"You have a son?!" Bunga yelled
"I did. He was taken from me. By a lioness who looked out of place here. She said she was from the Pridelands. She took so much from me." Surak explained
"Is that why you ran over to us when Mom and Dad were taking too long?" Baliyo asked
"I couldn't lose you guys too." Surak admitted
"I understand you think he is also dead. It is not true, I know where he is, in fact, he's on his way here."
"He is?!" Surak asked
"Yes, if you join me, I will spare him. You two will be reunited." Cheka said "In fact, if you join me, he will be protected by my pride."
Cheka was always good at negotiating what he wanted. It's like he could charmspeak everyone, and Surak was thinking long and hard about that to do. He had a son, and he could see his son again. Finally, Surak lifted his head and spoke "I need more time."
Cheka grinned, as of expecting that answer "You get one day. I will check at Dawn."
Cheka turned to his pride who were fighting mine "Lions! Fall back!"
His pride stopped and ran away, Surak stood there as if deep in thought. I approached him and asked him if everything is okay.
"Yes. Everything is fine. I just didn't expect that he would try and trick me with my deceased son."
"Your son, could you tell me about him?" I asked
"No, I can't. I never knew my son."
Surak answered saddened. "He was taken from me moments after he was born. I couldn't see the lioness who took him. But I smelt her. I ran as fast as I could, following the scent, but I couldn't find her. I searched for so long, but he- I couldn't find him. My son wasn't the only thing she took from me. My mate, the mother of my son, she was killed behind my back..." Surak trailed off.
"I understand." I responded "But I promise, when this war is over, if Cheka wasn't lying about it, I will help you find whoever took your son. If Cheka is making a promise like that, then he probably knows that your son is alive. He might not be dead Surak."
"Thank you, King Kion." Surak said to me "I would do anything to see my son again, but I cannot find it in my heart to betray everyone to see him."
"It's okay Surak, we all have to make sacrifices that we never wanted to make." I said "But that doesn't mean that after everything, you can't try to find him without betraying us. It just means you have to wait."
"Waiting is always the hardest part of something like this." He relented "But thank you, King Kion."
I dropped my head and sighed "It's been a full year and I'm still not used to animals calling me that."
"You will get used to it soon. Trust me, son." Surak said
I paused at those words. Son. Surak called me son.
"Son?" I asked, so confused. Why did he call me son?
"You were like a son to me. You came for help and you were so lost until we helped you." Surak explained "What Nirmala did for you, my mom did for me. And I saw everything. You and I aren't as different as it seems. Once upon a time, we were both so lost, but family and friends helped us find our way. But you are lost again. In a world you were not prepared for. You need guidance again, guidance that we cannot provide. But a piece of advice, I got the guidance I needed from my parents, maybe yours can guide you."
"But I tried to ask, they didn't have the answer I need." I told him
"Maybe they didn't understand. When they come to you, try again. A true parent will always be there for their children, no matter what."
Surak walked off and I was left there, thinking about what he said. Maybe I'm going about this whole situation all wrong. I was never taught how to be a king. I was always a leader, that's what everyone said, but never a king. They told me I could do it because I was a leader, but it was so different. Maybe I should ask for help again.
{Nguvu's POV}
King Kion never realized I was right behind him. I heard everything Surak said. 'A true parent will always be there for their children, no matter what.' All Father did for me was train me, harshly. It's no secret I hate my father, I never realized he wasn't a father at all. I wanted to so badly think that he was a good father, he would never abandon me to the wilderness or scar my face. That he'd always be there for me. My own illusion. I'm just another soldier to him, another pawn. In his game. Father's 'endgame', as he calls it, will come. Scar. Father is obsessed with him, and no one knows why, the reasons he gives, no one understands. I've dreamed of the day I got his pride. It's all I've ever wanted from him. I always had the same dream, even now. The Pridelands, in flames. Simba and Kion's prides, defeated. I was standing there in the middle, Simba dead under my paws. Kion dead next to him. My paws covered in the blood of the 2 former kings. My whole pride bowing at my paws, my father walking towards me, a big smile on his face, a genuine smile. He looked up at me, radiating pride. He said the words I've wanted him to say my whole life.
"I'm so proud of you, my son." Father said "You did it, you killed them. You got revenge for Scar. The Pridelands and the Tree of Life need kings. And you, my son, will be king of the Tree of Life. And Shani will be your Queen."
I looked to see an unscarred Shani walking towards me, a big, warm smile covering half of her face. It's the happiest day of my life. Then I woke up, saddened that it was just a dream. Now I wonder if I even want that anymore.