Chapter 1

"Princess Midna?" a young girl spoke up, causing Midna to look down at the young girl.

"What is it, Twila?" Midna asked, looking down at the book that the young Twili child was holding. The red-haired girl blinked and looked up at Midna with a questioning gaze.

"I found this book in the library... It has a picture of a wolf with blue eyes on it."

Midna grinned widely, knowing exactly who the wolf in that picture was. The older girl was suddenly brought out of her thoughts when Twila asked her another question.

"Who is the wolf? And why does my caretaker speak so highly of him?" Twila asked with wide red eyes.

"I'll tell you the story of the blue-eyed wolf," Midna motioned with a hand for Twila to come closer. "His story is also connected to the Hero of Twilight," Twila jumped up and down in excitement causing Midna to laugh.

Midna began the story of how a simple ranch-hand named Link became the next chosen hero.

The story took a few hours to both tell and to explain but when Midna had finally finished the tale, Twila just stared up at her with wide eyes.

"So, the Hero of Twilight is actually the blue-eyed wolf?" the young girl grinned and asked the twilight princess another question.

"You love him very much, don't you?" she asked, smiling up at Midna with amazement and a knowing gleam in her eyes. Midna blushed and looked away, her cheeks going scarlet.

"Hey, Midna... would my little sister, Midnight, like this story too?" the ten-year-old girl asked, still smiling as sge stared up at the older Twili.

Midna nodded her head and replied with a soft smile, "I think she would like it a lot. He wait, a second, isn't it her birthday tomorrow?" Twila giggled and nodded her head with a bright smile forming on her face.

"Do you think we could meet the wolf tomorrow?" Twila asked, jumping up with a hopeful grin forming on her face.

The older twili shook her head with a somber expression passing over her normally calm and kind face.

"I'm sorry, Twila, but you can't meet him. We have no way of returning to the world of light," the younger girl frowned and looked down once more at the book she was holding.

"Midna? Do you like the Hero of Twilight? I wish I could meet him... he sounds so nice." Midna blushed again and replied quietly.

"Y-yes, yes I do. Ha! You got me on that one. I admit it... I am in love with him." After she'd confessed her love for the young hero of light, Twila ran home with a smirk on her face and sparkle in her eyes.

•••

A few days or so later, the two girls were once again hanging out when suddenly... a bright flash of white light blinded them both. When the light had finally faded, two young, child-like figures were visible. The first was a young girl with deep scarlet hair that was tied back in a high ponytail, and her eyes were a bright, piercing green. She was wearing a brown tunic with black wool leggings, brown deer-skinned boots, and a forest green cloak was draped over her shoulders. The other girl had emerald green hair and bright blue eyes. She was wearing a forest green short-sleeved shirt with a forest green sweater over it, a pair of forest green shorts with forest green boots on her feet, and to keep her hair in place, there was a forest green headband in her hair. The final surprise was the two fairies flying around them.

After the shock of it all had finally subsided for the most part, Midna looked down to see that Twila was clutching tightly to her skirt with a fearful look in her eyes.

"Who are you? And what do you want?" she asked them, her ruby red eyes narrowing and her arms crossed in front of her.

"My name is Linkette, and this is my best friend, Saria, and these two are our fairies, Tatl and Ember." The now named Linkette answered Midna's previous question.

At that answer, Twila peeked her head out from behind Midna's skirt. "Are you the Hero of Twilight's younger sister?" the green eyed girl blinked in confusion and Midna laughed quietly at the younger Twili.

"No you silly girl, Linkette is the Hero of Time and Saria is the Forest Sage." Tatl piped up in response to the younger girl's question. At those words, Midna's eyes went wide in realization, but before she could speak, Linkette beat her to it.

"I was cursed to be a girl, if that's what you're wondering. Oh, and my name used to be Link." The girl quietly explained, her eyes downcast as she spoke.

"Wait, so you're saying that Zelda sent you back in time? And that's why there was no hero in the adult timeline?" Midna asked with wide eyes. It all made sense now: the golden wolf that her deer friend was talking about. She told herself as the realization of what her friend had been talking about finally dawned on her.

"But how does the Hero of Twilight fit into you going back in time?" Twila asked from beside Saria. Linkette smiled softly and turned to face her.

"Uh, well you see... It's kinda hard to explain..." Linkette said with an apologetic look crossing her face.

"Oh, and what is your name?" Linkette added shortly afterwards. "I forgot to ask that earlier."

"My name is Twila!" she responded with a cheerful smile. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

"So, now what do we do? How are we going to save the Zora eggs if we're not there?" Linkette frowned and pulled at her dark red locks in frustration.

"I don't know, Saria. I honestly don't know." Linkette replied truthfully.

"Wait! Wait! Wait!" Midna cut in, trying to understand what they were talking about. "How exactly did you guys get here in the first place?" Linkette and Saria glanced to each other with a nervous smile.

"Well you see..." Saria began in a nervous tone of voice. "It was my magic that started all this. It bounced off of the ocarina and that's when it started playing this weird song," she paused and Linkette pulled the blue instrument out from the folds of her cloak.

"What song did it play?" Midna asked, suddenly curious as she stared at the Ocarina of Time clutched tightly in the young girl's hands.

"A mix between the Song of Time and a song that we've never heard before," Linkette told her with a small frown forming on her face.