Strong Allies

-Flashback-

At a distance - away from the eavesdroppers and drunkards - you two sat. This time, at the Blushing Mermaid. The first meeting in person of the two of you, a recent friendship born from the letters. He was delighted to see you, as you were.

He ordered the best wine they had - to commemorate this lovely union, gleefully sharing memories of the letters.

"I have to say that I am most pleased to make your acquaintance. I was ready to walk into a trap, yet I had not stumbled into a horrid death," he exclaimed, surprised at your calm demeanour. At such a statement, you could do nothing but chuckle softly.

"Do not be wary. I am not inclined to mindless savagery. I have standards too."

"Mmm...I was not expecting this level of awareness from a bhaalist." he cleverly tested your temperament. Without success at the attempt, he received a most sane, warm praise.

"Most would slit your throat, but as I already said, the thought of being a mindless beast is disturbing. I must admit, I also did not fancy the idea of becoming close with a banite. However... your company is most gratifying." as you sipped the flavourful wine, he smiled and patted your shoulder.

The two of you relished the information gathered, sharing plans. His ambition is to climb to the top of the Black Market, to sap its enemies of their assets.

⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅∙∘☽༓☾∘∙•⋅⋅⋅•⋅⋅⊰⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅⋅•⋅

Three days after the letter was sent, you prepare for the meeting at Elfsong Tavern. You dress accordingly - lavish, sophisticated - and make your way. The streets are as vibrant as always. The stress of meeting a deadline for the diary. The baker makes delicious pastries for their clients. Kids playing hopscotch, throwing their stones with glee.

In the surroundings, the murderous agents keep an eye on you. Invisible yet you can feel their presence. Swiftly moving to your pace, some scouting ahead. All of them with their eyes on every person you stumble upon.

Elfsong Tavern

The sign reads.

Inside isn't much of a change. People in ecstasy from drinking a couple of beers, singing, dancing, and chatting. Lots of them, piling up as if a special event had happened. Bad jokes, complaints about politicians. You look around until you finally spot the man.

There he is. Forwardly waiting with two glasses of wine waiting to be consumed. He waves at you, raising his golden hand in the air.

"My, you look like you had been to a funeral. But, setting your facial expression aside... You, my dear, have put honey on my lips. So, I'm all ears.", he stops for a moment, rummaging inside his pocket "Before we continue, I'll turn on this."

He takes out a sort of tiny device. It looks complex, slim, and expensive.

"Hmm?" you stare at the shiny device, slim, refined as his creator. It is small, enough as to mistake it for a lighter.

"A Silence bubble."

At the press of a button, the tiny device glows dimly. Then, an invisible bubble surrounds the table. You look around, no soul has noticed the round globe.

"A creation of yours, I take?" to which he proudly claims.

"Who else could make this fantastic engine? The materials were expensive, but it was worth investing in."

"Sorry to cut you, but I am still wondering about this crown you've mentioned."

"Ah, yes. The Crown of Karsus. Sorry for holding so much in the letters, I did not trust the courier company.
*clap*
It is a wonder, made by Karsus. I already pointed out the main aspects of its functioning in the letters. I have nothing on its whereabouts, I only know it exists because of... a friend. I do have in mind to pay a visit to Helsik. You, my dear, are invited to tag along. Truth be told, I'd rather much prefer it that way."