More Than Allies

Gortash and you have been meeting with a commonness never seen. His forms softened as you had more private gatherings. Normally, the encounters took place at his lodging since the Temple of Bhaal is off-limits.

The rising sun gushes through Gortash's windows, those new silk curtains blocking its blinding light.

Despite your Father's retribution these past few days, it was irresistible not to tempt him, to bind his body and mind around you. Triumphant at your intent, he tasted you with zeal. And so you too fell into his.

"The pact might prove a nuisance in the future, and you know it," he says brazenly from waking up too early. His figure is bent over the table as he angrily looks at the stacked paper, scrawling furiously. You try to argue it - to soothe his grumpiness.

"Do try not to sulk, it is for the best. The general is as puny as to retaliate if he sees an opening. Perhaps, you would have preferred I invited Orin?" he stops for a moment, the horror that Orin's chaotic nature would bring is surely cursed and just imagining it brings forth a migraine.

"You better not let that loose catapult be in charge," he, genuinely horrified, expresses as his inspiration runs wild with the possible outcomes.

"Don't be so harsh. I am still her family." you look in his direction while peeking at his ample book collection. You can even see his head fuming as he is reading letters. It is even funnier when he swears, cursing politicians and their pathetic attempt at screwing him. "Say, were you not in a torrid amour with Lady Jannath?" you mock him, he raises a brow, turning his head to you with a stale expression.

"I assumed you were not keen on sheer gossip," he says, giggling at your query.

"I do indulge in some, from time to time. We bhaalists do need to catch up on the world's disarray. Nonetheless, I find myself slightly worried. Particularly of that silver tongue of yours, it may corner you in the future."

"Nonsense. As to Jannath's buzz - which took place long ago - when she first came to me, I had no intention of getting implicated in anything more than a fling, but I benefitted from it."

"Did you, now? It came to my attention that she gifted you a valuable heirloom. My agents did get into the finest tidbits." you poke cheekily. He rolls his eyes, remembering the old junk he sold months ago. Not a trace of fondness attached to any part of that fling for sure.

"Her foolishness was the product of her immature mind. And yes, she endowed me with a ring. Sold to fund my creations."

"Hahaha... A token of engagement, no less." you chortle at his face, testing him, while he tries to focus on the last invitation received. With a gesture, he urges you to come closer.

"Let's not dwell on that matter, mmm? Here, read this." he hands you an adorned letter, an invitation to a clandestine party.

To the attention of E.G,

As a proxy of the Zhentarim, I am delighted to bestow you a special threshold for a meaningful reunion that will take place in the following coordinates.

--x --y

We will be most pleased to confirm your attendance.

"Playing with fire. I never took a bunch of snakes to be daring as to trifle with you." you comment. He remains silent for an instant.

The standing of the Black Market has been favourable for he is the leading seller, supplanting the Zhents and the Knights the Shield. So, to have them invite him, must imply he is more of a menace to them than he thought. He concludes the message to be ignored.