Part 30

Chapter 30

Nearly a year later!

GWAYNE HIGHTOWER

The explosion at his sister's wedding had rocked his world, and the last half a year had been quite testing for him. Though it wasn't really just him who had been tested, Alicent had been the person most affected by the whole ordeal. Especially given that she had been pregnant during this whole time, and had nearly lost the child due to the explosion.

Gwayne had decided to stay with her during this whole ordeal. The atmosphere in Bravos after the incident had been thawing, for the attack had nearly succeeded in killing the Sealord. The atmosphere had been even more tense for them, given that a certain group in Bravos thought them responsible for the attack and wished to prosecute them for treason.

Yet thankfully, due to Aenys's efforts, the Sealord had survived and had woken up two days later, and had exonerated them, launching an investigation into the attack. An investigation would quickly reveal the man behind the whole plot, a person called Alissano Neysaris, a close friend and aide to the Sealord who had planned the whole assassination attempt to obtain the seat of the Sealord.

Despite the identification of the preparator, the tribulations hadn't truly ended. Aenys had been bedridden since the incident and hadn't woken up, and this had been truly taking a toll on his sister and had been the main reason for his decision to stay in Bravos. And Alicent had been catatonic with grief, and in those times of extreme turbulence, the Princess's sudden arrival had been the anchor she had needed.

Princess Rahenyra's sudden appearance had taken her by surprise, yet it had been exactly what Alicent had needed.

The princess had been able to provide a much-needed familiar shoulder to Alicent in her times of trouble taking care of her. Gwayne was extremely thankful to the Princess for all her support, and it was the reason that he was walking towards his sister's room at that moment.

Aenys's manse was still under construction and had yet to be repaired completely, and Sealord and his wife had forced them to move to Sealord's palace, given that Aenys had saved Sealord's life.

Yet it seems that fate wasn't quite done with them. With Aenys still unconscious in a coma and all three of them still reeling from the effects of the first tragedy. The fates had struck again, bringing loss and tragedy with them, this time for the very Princess who had given his sister a shoulder to lean on in her times of trouble.

He walked through the corridor past the stationed guards as he made his way toward Alicent's room. He gave a gentle knock and was immediately beckoned in, with a simple "Come in."

He opened the door and entered Alicent's room. Alicent had been given perhaps the best room in all of the palace, with a direct view of the Sealord's mangery on one side and then a tantalizing view of Bravos on the other side.

He found Alicent in her usual place, sitting by the window staring outside as she lay on a specially made seat for pregnant women, with plates full of exotic fruits placed in front of her, yet remained untouched. Her face had thinned, and gone was the smile he had seen on her face on her wedding day, replaced by an everpresent sense of sadness and gloom, a feeling that had become accentuated ever since the Princess's rapid departure.

"Are the preparations done?" she questioned, as her head snapped towards him, and he nodded as he walked towards the seat opposite to her.

"Yes, they are. The ships are ready and I plan to depart by tomorrow," he continued his eyes glancing at her protruding belly once more as he slowly questioned once more.