Chapter 17

Gyutaro coughs up some blood, his wounds healing slower than ever before.

Kami, it was like being human again. Was he going to feel his bones should this keep up? What was the end goal with their mentors guiding them?

He wouldn't know yet as exhaustion crept up on him as the dawn broke. He shouldn't be tired but here it was, making him sleepy. Daki slumps into his shoulder as his eyes focus on the limp form of Kokushibo. Uppermoon One, the mightiest dog in the Kizuki. The most loyal of all and even he fell to heel against the mythical force of a divine god.

Inosuke was whimpering in his arms as Hakuji watched his senior, the one whose position was the most respected in the Kizuki. Perhaps the only one Muzan would claim to be proud of while others were disappointments.

Kokushibo had brought Douma to the edge of death, the demon continuing to have trouble long after the battle had ended.

The blonde's head was propped up on Kotoha's lap. She was stroking his hair, holding back her tears. She knew he wouldn't die so easily but there had been so much blood. Blood that had stopped. It should have been absorbed but it lays on top of his skin.

Then the shifting of Uppermoon One had everyone except Kotoha on edge.

Kokushibo was staring at Kotoha, the human whose presence had switched Douma's allegiance.

Even when his death is near with the sun rising, he wants to look at the weakling who dares to chain him.

His gaze doesn't move even when the light creeps to burn him.

No, his gaze doesn't move till those emerald eyes meet his eyes. She sniffs back her tears, her hands still stroking Douma's locks, fingertips touching the cold metal that lays on his head.

"Your brother wants to save you." From the corner of his eye, he sees the treacherous Akaza's hold on the child, whose cries had died down. Fisting into Akaza's shirt. Now that he was paying attention, something was off. His hair was more black than pink and his eyes were blue compared to golden. If he were to look at the siblings he would probably find their complexions more human as well. Gyutaro's ribs perhaps filling in more.

So that's what is happening to his lord's Kizuki.

They are turning human. Turning weak.

"I need no saving, especially from the dead." Kokushibo knew the sun was upon them. He would stay here, keeping his eyes on the traitor. He won't call for assistance from his lord. His lord would rather him commit seppuku. "I will die."

Kokushibo watched as the woman sniffed back her tears once more.

"Your brother wants you to be at peace with yourself."

He'll never be at peace knowing he was surpassed by someone who never needed to work as hard to be great.
"I will burn."

That's when the sun touched him.

Then the secret of how they were able to evade his lord for so long was revealed.

Douma twitches awake, coughing once before getting up on his elbows, eyes tired and no malice for events that had occurred. Kotoha wraps her arms around his neck and hugs him to her. Her lips kiss his brow, tears reaching his crown.

That young mother was in love with a woman eater.

Those rainbow eyes don't go cold but instead gain a twinkle in them.

"Welcome to redemption Kokushibo-dono!"

Disgusting how his body warms under the sun for the first time in four centuries.

From the gate, a crow cries out and three Hashira along with another make it.

Rengoku was leading, freezing at the destruction before him.

The Kocho sisters stood there, Shinobu narrowing her eyes at the sight of Kotoha and Douma close to them.

The last one had a tick mark forming at seeing a fallen Uppermoon, his master having given the orders not to attack any donning gold.

"OH COME THE FUCK ON!!!" Sanemi roared, he had been thrilled at the thought of slaughtering Uppermoon One.

The next few days were peaceful.

Or as peaceful as the presence of Kokushibo can bring.

He remain where he fell, not moving at all. The sun rose and fell as others moved around him.

He meditates, eyes closed. His mind even actively tries to reach out to his lord. Only for his brother to make an appearance, trying to talk to him.

Douma would watch from the porch, waiting for some time before grinning when he was called upon by Hakuji or his loved ones. It would be Hakuji or the siblings watching him the most. Crouching far or close. Hakuji is the bravest at being a pace away.

The wind would make his new blasted earring move, hitting him like a feather against his skin.

He doesn't move when he hears the soft shifting of dirt.

He doesn't move at all.

Not till laughter is heard does the most feared demon of Muzan's army open his eyes to see the one he was meant to kidnap.
Those eyes now void of tears were also empty of fear. All creatures need a dose of fear when as young as this baby. He should know he is a predator that could easily kill him.

But no the child is bouncing in place, using his knee as a pose to remain standing.

Then the baby slips from his knee, his reflexes never going to catch him in time.

The child doesn't fall, instead, he rises with his small tunic being held from behind with one hand. He slowly is turned with his mouth open, drooling as he came to eye level with Kokushibo.

His expression is indifferent when the baby begins to blow a raspberry.

Then he speaks.

"Oji." His tattoo glows at the word. Though the word didn't affect him nearly as much as 'Aniki' had.

Kokushibo would finally get up when the child yawns. He tucks him into his arm, gets up, and goes to find his mother. His mother would be found with Douma, learning to read.

Douma would stupidly grin his way.

Looks like his suffering begins anew.

Nakime would feel the shaking of the fortress, Hantengu would cry out and Gyokko went to another one of his pots avoiding the destruction of the rooms.

Muzan had been raging for the last few days.

EVEN KOKUSHIBO HAD FAILED HIM!! HIS MOST LOYAL AND POWERFUL KIZUKI HAD FAILED HIS MISSION!

Crimson eyes glare at the mess he has caused and raises his hands.

It all started with that fool Douma.

It will end with the death of that bastard and harlot.

It will be at his hands and no one will stop him.