Page 23

Janet

"I wanna see you in the studio mom" Story spoke as I faced the stove.

She faced my back leaning on the counter watching me as I cooked. "You really wanna see me work huh" I questioned turning around to look at her.

She wore her curls up out of her pretty face. "Yeah mom, I've been practicing on my singing while you were on tour"

"Aw baby I would love to hear you. I bet you sound lovely" I said smiling at her.

"I thinks so, but there are sometimes when I don't feel so confident" she shrugged her shoulders.

"That's okay, when do you feel confident?"

She paused looking up as she thought to herself. "Whenever I'm in the shower" she said looking back at me with those innocent eyes.

I began to grin at her. "Baby everybody sounds good in the shower"

"Even pop pop" she asked. She always called Charles pop pop instead of grandpa.

"Yes even your pop pop"

"Grandma always said he can't sing. I guess she never heard him in the shower"

"Maybe, but if you really want to sing Story me and your father can get you a vocal coach. You can start taking lessons between school"

"Cool" she said in her cheery tone.

"Pretty soon you'll be better than me" I said upbeat widening my eyes.

She began blushing. "Noooo" she sung.

"Yessss" I said mimicking her. "Don't ever doubt yourself. You come from a bloodline of winners" I said holding my head high. "You understand" I said stern.

"Yes mom" she nodded her head slowly.

"Good- Oh" I said turning around facing the stove. The sound of boiling sauce caught my attention.

I quickly grabbed the spoon stirring the sauce for a few seconds before putting the spoon back down. Next I grabbed all of my seasonings applying them to my spaghetti sauce.

"Oouu mom can I taste the sauce" Story asked while hopping out the stool.

She ran to my side cheesing with her red cheeks. "Sure baby get a clean spoon" I said.

She quickly grabbed a gold spoon out from the cabinet. I watched as she took a big scoop out of the pot before bringing it to her mouth I grabbed her wrist.

"Wait Story that's hot, blow on it first" I said getting her attention. She began to blow her breath onto the spoon for a few seconds.

"Ok now try it" I said.

I watched as she closed her eyes putting the spoon in her mouth. She kept her eyes closed doing a little dance while taking the spoon out.

I laughed watching her. "I guess it's good huh?"

"Yeah mom your spaghetti never fails" she said.