Page 75

Janet

"What's goin on" Bryan wore his wide smile on his face. He opened his arms out as he grew closer to Guero, Denzel and I.

Guero opened his arms before giving Bryan a welcoming smile and a brotherly hug. Each of them looked genuinely joyful to see each other. I remembered in that moment Stevanna said she would miss the wedding but she would make it for the reception.

Denzel joined in on their hug while I scrambled looking for my phone. Once I got a hold of it, I began texting Stevanna, warning her Bryan showed up. At the same time I was typing, her voice sent a chill down my spine.

"Mom, I was looking for you in there" I could hear in her voice she was smiling. I lifted my head from my phone to see her entering the patio with a man on her arm.

I brushed past Bryan and began inspecting the stranger, he wore a grey suit to an all black party. Stevanna instantly kissed my cheek before flashing her bright pink cheeks, she looked between her date and I.

 Stevanna instantly kissed my cheek before flashing her bright pink cheeks, she looked between her date and I

He was handsome, tall and he looked good next to my daughter. Unfortunately for him, I was in mama bear mode. To myself, he was a threat, till he proved to me he only has good intentions for my daughter. For Stevanna, I played nice and smiled.

"Mom, this is Skip" she spoke formal. "Skip Marley" she said optimistic looking between him and I.

"It's nice to meet you" his mellow voice had a Caribbean accent. He raised his hand out to shake mine.

"Respectful" I said impressed and shook his firm grip with mine. I knew exactly who he was once she spoke his full name. He was a Marley, he might be perfect for Stevanna. The two of them come from famous bloodlines, I know they'd have a lot in common.

"Of course Mrs. Jackson, I respect your daughter, I have to respect you too" his presence was charming.

"He didn't get the memo" Bryan mumbled from behind me. He was only a few feet away but I could hear him. "Jackass is the only one wearing grey" he scuffed.

I noticed Skip's eyes darting behind my back, past me. He noticed Bryan's comments and ignored them.

"What is Bryan doing here" Stevanna aggrieved, she creased her brows darting her eyes at me.

"Is this the little boy you were telling me about" he asked thickening his accent for Stevanna.

"Yes" she sighed deeply. She was visibly stressed, I could even hear it in her sigh. I began to rub her arm up and down.

"Ignore him, he wants your attention. He's jealous that you moved on. I'm happy for you" I smiled, I watched her frown slowly fade away. I looked to Skip and took his hand. "It was nice meeting you, I hope to see you around more"