To Tell an Old Story

Wukong squirmed in his seat, excited as the puppet master came onto the stage.

The king had his human disguise, wearing a loose blouse and long skirt to hide his tail. He had more freckles, amber eyes instead of gold and red, freckles dotting his arms and hands, a more human-like nose, and he no longer had sharp canines.

MK nudged him happily, "We should get snacks when the first act is finished!" Wukong nodded, "Agreed." The theater suddenly dimmed as the show began.

"Welcome! Tonight's story is a special one..."

Shadows moved as the man lifted a glowing lantern, causing the sage's excitement to morph into dread. This magic was deathly similar to his old friend's. It unsettled him, but he remained glued to his seat by his need for nostalgic comfort as the man continued.

"It follows the tragic tale between the hero and the warrior. And how those who bring light into this world inevitably bring darkness to those they hold dear."

Wukong shifted uncomfortably, poking Mei, "I'm gonna go get snacks. Wanna come with me?" The dragon girl smiled, most likely sensing his anxiety, and walked out with him as the storyteller continued.

"Like light, heroes bring light, warmth, and friendship. But they also give light darkness."

---

Macaque scowled to himself.

He didn't expect the group to drag along someone else. The redhead was clearly powerful, Macaque could sense it. But he refused to believe it could be Wukong in disguise.

Because then that would mean Wukong cared about other people, and that he really has changed. Because it would mean Wukong misses his stupid shadow plays. Because Wukong might figure out the human he's watching is Macaque, and then what?

Would the king go back on his oath of never harming Macaque?

He didn't want to risk it, so the shadow user decided to simply continue the show. Then the team can see for themselves whether they should trust the old hero or not.

---

Wukong rushed back with Mei, handing out everyone's food and drinks.

They thanked the pair silently as shadows morphed into mountains, and then two figures. Wukong shivered, eyes wide and alert as he watched the shadows move.

"The hero and the warrior were like the sun and the moon. Their light, a protective glow, shining upon the world. Together, there was nothing that could stop the two of them." The shadows posed, matching weapons positioned high.

"Either in the Celestial realms, or on Earth."

Something snapped into place within the old king's mind. Old memories, old touches, old laughter... Times from before.

Times that he had thrown down the drain.

"As time went on, the hero obtained power beyond comprehension. As the hero's light grew, so too, did his shadow." Macaque moved back, showcasing the hero's figure casting a long and daunting shadow. It landed over the warrior.

"And soon, the warrior was cast in that shadow. In the darkness, the warrior was forgotten by the hero." Wukong stared, tears threatening to bubble up.

Did Macaque think I left him? Did he believe I could ever forget him?

Wukong knew that answer. He'd known it for a long time, how could he not? Macaque had never let go of the hurt, the anger, and the betrayal he'd felt. And Wukong didn't blame him.