Chapter 3

Doug's POV

As Jimmy and I entered the chemistry class, the man in his 50s with a scientist white coat was at his desk.

Man: What are you boys doing in here?

I look at the man in confusion.

Doug: Umm... we're here for chemistry class, sir. And we're also new kids as well.

Man: Oh, right, class. Sorry for my rudeness. The principal did tell me about you two. My name is Dr. Watts, and I'll be your chemistry teacher this year. You both can introduce yourself to the class.

As me and Jimmy looked at the students who were looking at us, So, Jimmy introduces himself first.

Jimmy: My name is James Hopkins, but you called me Jimmy. I'm 15 years old, and that's all.

After Jimmy introduced myself, some students whispered to each other. I don't know what they are talking about, but it's not important right now.

Dr. Watts: Very good. And you?

Dr. Watts looks at me, and so does every student in the class; this makes my knees shake. For some reason, I was afraid to talk, even though I had a proper speech prepared.

Doug: Um... I...

Dr. Watts: Go on. Don't be shy.

Doug: Umm... My name is Douglas Hawkins, or Doug for short. I'm 14, and it's nice to meet you all.

Then the small and skinny nerd with strawberry blonde hair and half-moon glasses raised his hand and said,

Dr. Watts: Yes, Donald?

Donald: I wanted to ask Doug a question.

Doug: Yes?

Donald: What are your favorite school subjects?

Doug: That depends on the teacher's well-being.

Donald: Make sense. And do you like sports?

Doug: No. I'm not into sports.

Donald: Interesting...

Donald then looked at me, and he had interesting eyes about me, which gave me goosebumps. Then Dr. Watts,

Dr. Watts: Okay, class, let's start our class today. Take care to follow my instructions precisely, as we will be working with volatile chemicals today.

Then me and Jimmy sat at our desk to learn. Two hours later, the class ended. Jeez, is one class that I will attend going to have a 2-hour lesson? This isn't the same as my old school. As I got out of the classroom, now it's lunch break. Then I decided to go to the cafeteria, and as I took the tray, I looked at the cafeteria food, which, most of all, looked very unappetizing to me. Is this school serving filth to students? I still remember in Norrisville High, the cafeteria lady, Mrs. Dempsey, makes taco Tuesday mix with roadkill. Just as I walk away,

Jock 1: Move, nerd!

One big jock pushes me, making me fall to the ground, which makes his jock friend laugh at my misfortune.

Jock 2 and 3: Hahahahahaha!

Then the group of jocks walked away. I was still on the ground, feeling a bit humiliated.

Doug: Can't this day get even worse?

As I was about to stand up, someone walked in front of me. As I looked up, it was Donald again. He held his hand out to me to help me get up. Then I took his hand, and he helped me stand up.

Donald: Yeah, you're okay?

Doug: Yeah. I'm kind of feeling a bit embarrassed. Those guys are pushing me like that.