Chapter 12

Jennie

I SHOULD'VE KNOWN...

"Is there something wrong, Jennie?" Krystal rubbed my shoulder as I drove to the bus station a couple of weeks later.

"Nothing at all." I lied. "I'm just thinking about something."

"Oh." She blushed. "Is it spending time with me at the lodge this weekend?"

No, it's spending time with Chaeyoung at the lodge this weekend... "Of course."

She blushed and leaned back in her seat, and as the bus winded through another snow - covered road, my mind spun with thoughts of Chaeyoung. It was bad enough that my fantasies of her were completely out of control since she'd moved into my house, that I'd tasted her mouth and wanted more. But, the fact that she made up most of the things in her letters for the first two years when she was away made me realize that I should've called her out on it back then — when I halfway suspected that's what she was doing.

Since the night she'd told me about her made - up love stories, I'd reread her first two years of letters and looked between all the lines, shaking my head at the obvious plays on book character and author names that I never thought to question.

She'd used Dick Charles (Charles Dickens), Chris Grey (Christian Grey), Jon Grislem (John Grisham) and so many other obvious variations that I was shocked I never caught it. A part of me wanted to laugh about it, but another part of me wanted to tell her that sometimes I went extra hard partying and dating because I was trying to keep up with what she was writing to me.

"I'm really excited to spend an entire weekend with you," Krystal said, kissing my cheek as we pulled into the parking lot.

"Me, too." I forced a smile and was about to give her one of my standard lines, but I spotted Chaeyoung getting out of someone else's car. Spotted a guy kissing her on the cheek, then her lips.

This time I knew it wasn't a slight pang of jealousy in my chest. This time it was full blown envy.

Chaeyoung

THE "SENIOR LODGE TRIP" might as well have been code for "sex filled weekend with unlimited alcohol." Add in the fact that it was Halloween, and that made things even crazier.

From the very moment we boarded the bus, flasks and red cups flowed up and down the aisle, couples made out like no one else was watching, and those who were beyond drunk led a large group in singing off - key nineties songs. As for the "crazier" part, a masked Spiderman passed out weed - infused gummies, Cinderella gorged on whipped cream, and Queen Elsa (Well, all five of them) chugged a fresh beer every other hour.

Since this was a loosely sanctioned event, there were no officials from our college onboard. There was only a group of organizers who demanded that we abide by three simple rules.

Don't get into any fights.

Don't overdrink.

Wear condoms.

I stared ahead as the bus coasted down a winding lane, hoping like hell we would make it to the "amazing lodge" soon. My heart was beating an aching rhythm I'd never felt before, and I needed to get the hell off the bus as soon as possible.

From the moment I saw Krystal sitting next to Jennie — resting her head on her shoulder and whispering into her ear, I felt some type of way.

What are they up there talking about?

"You okay, Chaeyoung?" Wonwoo tapped my shoulder, making me look at him.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"You sure?" he smiled and handed me a bagel. "You've been pretty quiet for these first few hours. Don't tell me I'll have to spend this entire weekend talking to myself."