Chapter1- The toast (introduction)

"This is a story based on true events witnessed by several individuals. Some of the names of scenes or places may have been changed or exaggerated for the reader's entertainment."

Tulio Messina—What got me into this situation? I can't explain everything in this chapter. Perhaps my success has aroused envy. Maybe I made mistakes by not stopping when I should have. I could have been more careful. I don't know what to say. I'll let the reader judge for themselves while I tell my story through the points of view of those around me.

My typical day begins at seven o'clock. I like to start by drinking my coffee, then taking a shower and shaving. I put on my suit, apply my cologne, and I'm ready to start the day.

My wife, Asia Bonnato, always wakes up a few minutes later. She is, without a doubt, a woman of immeasurable beauty, with perfect breasts, thighs, and hips—a face of an angel who speaks Italian.

We live in a giant penthouse with our dog, Joker. The finishes are the most expensive you can imagine. Even the furniture was handmade in Suriname, and my car is a work of art. I've come a long way for someone who grew up with nothing—ridiculous, no?

Continuing with my routine, Asia and I have the same discussion every day:

Asia: Dear, I made you some toast. Eat it before it gets cold!

Tulio: You already know that I don't eat breakfast. Being focused in the morning always helps me get ahead in the business world.

Asia: Stop being like that. Now that I've made the toast, I'm not going to throw the food away.

Tulio: Hey, are you really going to bother me over toast? Don't be annoying!

She then throws in my face everything I've done wrong this week, month, year—things that I don't even remember—all because of a piece of toast. I end up pretending to eat it. After taking a bite, I toss the toast under the table, where my dog Joker takes advantage of the opportunity without my wife seeing.

I always say goodbye to my dog, but never to Asia. When I go downstairs, I realize that I forgot my keys. I go back up the stairs and knock on the door, noticing that it's open. When I enter, I find a hooded figure wearing black gloves and clothing, holding a gun with a silencer pointed at me while Asia cries.

He doesn't speak, but I say:

Tulio: Take whatever you want, calm down.

Asia: Please don't hurt us! I'll tell you where the money is, even the jewelry. Take everything.

The figure looks at me very calmly, his face concealed, and says:

Figure: Money isn't everything.

He fires the gun, hitting my dog Joker, who falls lifeless as some of his blood spills onto our Macedonian carpet.

Asia cries and screams:

Asia: No! Not Joker! You don't need to do this. What do you want? Please!

Figure: I want time to go back.

Then he points the gun at me and says:

Figure: Enjoy the ride.

And he shoots me. Blood gushes across the kitchen. I see the rest of the toast on the bloody floor, and Asia crying, as I fall lifeless.