Chapter eight. To feed or not to feed...

The message from Dracula's words eludes me at the moment as my focus shifts quickly toward my environment and the entire world suddenly exudes color and energy. I'm obviously still asleep. The dream is quite amazing in terms of details. In my dream, I look at the hospital bed and I can see the shape left by my body, I can detect the difference in the temperature between objects throughout the room, and all the devices around me sound so much louder than in the past; the sound of each of them is individualized and crisp. The sound of soft steps on the stairs is getting closer to my room.

Kieran opens the door carefully balancing a tray with soup, pudding, and a fruit puree. "Back to baby food!" Dracula's voice has a dry sarcasm to it.

"After talking to Kim, I added a few extra things I hope you like."

I can hear his heart beating well-paced in his chest. It's a sort of serenity engulfing him.

"Are you a doctor too?" I ask ignoring the food.

In my dream, he gets the tray to place it on my lap and his eyes lock on my lips. "Did you clean yourself after you ate the cat?" Dracula voices my sudden worry then, I remember, this is just a dream.

Kieran's eyebrow furrow and I see him leaving to the medicine cabinet just to come a second later with a gauze with Vaseline on and he is now gently dabbing to my lip.

"Your lips cracked so hard that they are bleeding now..."

His hands remain steady while cleaning my skin and his heart continues to beat normally. So, he's not easily moved by blood, I think. With him being so close to me, I can easily see his small stub of hair from a beard coming out, fine wrinkles between his eyebrows like he would frown a lot, and the small pressing of his lips like thinking of something unpleasant. I'm wondering if he can see more blood on me.

Before I could reach a conclusion, he turns to dispose of the dirty gauze and passes by the area I had thrown the cat minutes ago.

"You have a stuffed animal...kind of lifeless..."

I jump from my seat afraid he's touching it and realize the monstrosity hidden behind it. Then, I stop in my motion. This is just a dream. No sweat. 

"It's not a dream!" Dracula screams and I feel propelled forward.

"Oh, that cat...is out of the bag!" I hurry to grab the limp body with disgust. Disgust towards myself. Jeez! I really killed a cat and suck its blood to feel better! Am I really sure this is not a dream? The fur tingles my fingers and there is a fresh smell of blood reaching my nostrils. No, I'd better get used to it. This is not a dream.

He chuckles as if finding it funny while I fumble with the body wondering where could I dispose of it for a while. I don't have much time so the poor body ends up shoved under the armchair.

I'm back in the armchair and Kieran and his food are now back to me. He places the bowl in my hands, and I look confused at the green soup. The smell of boiled vegetables makes my stomach turn. The color doesn't inspire me either and for a second, I imagine sinking my teeth in his neck but a second later, I recoil almost spilling his soup.

"I'm sorry," he hurries to say taking the soup from my hands. "I'll feed you a few spoons. You are too weak to do it yourself..."

I'm not sure it's a good idea.

"Just have a few spoons," Dracula states with a sigh. "It's fiber. It's gonna help you digest everything else..."

I try to ignore the sarcasm and I nod slowly in agreement without realizing this would bring the stranger much closer to me. He pulls a chair next to the armchair and after covering me with a soft blanket, takes the first spoon of soup and thoroughly cools it by blowing in it before slowly getting it close to my lips.

"Imagine this is bloody soup, all red, velvety from the layer of triglycerides, with a scent of iron and taste of salt..." Dracula chants quietly and I'm wondering if I'm ever going to be a normal girl. "Never been, as far as I can see!" he muses himself.

I close my eyes forgetting about my aversion to peas. "Good girl," Kieran says after my first swallow and I refuse to open my eyes.

Dracula continues. "The sooner you learn to savor the blood, the sooner we can go on a hunt."

I open my eyes trying to shake off his awful influence and I almost push away Kieran's hand.

"Not good?" he asks. "Would you like something else to eat? The fruit puree?"

Is he kidding me? I think Dracula said but might have been me. Gets complicated!

"Thanks for the offer!" I say continuing to keep my eyes open. "But I must admit, I'm on a strict diet..." The rest gets to be continued only in my mind. "Blood-only diet. Fruit purees might just give my fangs an identity crisis!"

I can feel his curious eyes scanning my face. The spoon is whirling in the soup judging from the sound and next, it's next to my lips again. Smells green, tastes green and I'll have to eat it. I open my mouth obediently.

"Thanks for not sending me to some weird drive-thru," he jokes, and I feel the warmth of his smile. "Do you still like the tomato juice?"

My eyes are opening big the moment his question flew from his lips and they are now glued to his red, plum lips.

"The dude knows you..." Dracula remarks slowly probably probing my memory. I have no recollection. His question obviously implies otherwise.

"Not anymore. Red makes me angry."

"Blasphemy! And you know it. You're just defiant." Dracula's yelling definitely makes me angry.

The silence falls between us for a good minute before Kieran stands undecided about his own actions. His fingers are playing with a small object that I can't fully see it to recognize the shape but it's red. It disappears in his pocket without any further details.

"Red look good...on you..."

Did I hear this before? It would be impossible. Scratch that. Impossible shouldn't be allowed to be a word anymore. Not regarding me. "Deja-Vu?" Dreams or nightmares?!